LDAP users are not listed

Hello,

OwnCloud is able to reach the LDAP server, but the users are not showing up.
Everything is fresh, as it has been installed to test the ability of ownCloud to use ldap for authentication.

Here is an example of a user. I am new to ldap, so maybe something is wrong/incompatible with owncloud:

# Entry 1: uid=mmary,dc=ldap,dc=example,dc=com
dn: uid=mmary,dc=ldap,dc=example,dc=com
cn: Mary Mary
displayname: Mary Mary
gidnumber: 502
givenname: Mary
homedirectory: /home/mmary
objectclass: posixAccount
objectclass: top
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
sn: Mary
uid: mmary
uidnumber: 50081
userpassword: {MD5}s3JRIsnTv+9WZGdeCOMYdw==

Steps to reproduce

1. Install the LDAP app
  2. Configure User Authentication
  3. List users

Expected behaviour

During configuration 4 users are found, I expect them to appear in the ownCloud users:

Actual behaviour

The groups from LDAP appear but not a single LDAP user is being listed.

Server configuration

Operating system:
Web server: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.1
ownCloud version: 10.0.8.5 (fresh install)

Hi,

Have you tried

occ user:sync?

I am having the same issue. Using 9.1.0 . I have confirmed the ldap setup is correct. I can confirm the setup in occ.

Our site has both users created manually within owncloud and ldap users from our DC

with ldap enabled no users are display and the calendar app does not work.
If I disable ldap the manually created users are listed and the calendar app works.

What do you mean by that?

Using the command occ ldap:show-config , I am given summary of the LDAP setup.

With occ ldap:test-config s01

I get the response
“The configuration is valid and the connection could be established!”

It appears that the ldap configuration is correct.

I noticed that the account of the domain controller user that is setup to connect to server account had been locked out due to too many unsuccessful logons. Would this be the source of the error? I have re enabled this account and have configured a new account to authenticate with the domain controller.

The user list will not appear and the shared calendar data does not appear.

please try

occ user:sync

I have already tried user:sync. It does not appear to be a supported command in my version of owncloud (9.1.0).

when I enter occ user:sync I am returned this:

[Symfony\Component\Console\Exception\CommandNotFoundException]
Command: “user;sync” is not defined.
Did you mean one of these?
federation:sync-addressbooks
dav:sync-birthday-calendar
dav-sync-system-addressbook
user:resetpassword
user:report
user:lastseen
user:delete
user:disable
user:enable
user:add

@gholtslander I think version 9.1.0 is horribly outdated and its probably highly recommended that you ASAP upgrade to version 10.0.8.

@Zini I think i had read somewhere that the users are only showing up once they have logged in once and that you can enforce the showing up of the users with the command pointed out by @dmitry

Indeed, users from LDAP show up only after they log in for the first time.

From my readings on this forum, this is a very common issue people face. They should be a clear warning in ownCloud, informing us that the users will not be automatically displayed. I would suggest putting this warning at the configuration testing phase. In the current state, you cannot expect people to guess that this is not a bug.

The occ user:sync feature would be welcome in the UI. occ is not an option on my shared hosting and most users probably face this same situation. On big LDAP databases there will be an issue of timeouts, but this is not unsolvable. At least, there should be a button to synchronise users manually, with a warning regarding large databases.