Which server version are you using?
Version 2.9 of Android app only supports server version 9.x and newer. I encourage you to upgrade your server version, and any question or problem about it, check it here: https://central.owncloud.org/
If you don’t have the choice to upgrade your server, you can get the 2.8.0 version (the latest Android version that supports old server versions) from F-Droid. To get it, follow these steps:
- Install F-droid app from http://f-droid.org
- In F-droid app, tap on “Settings”, placed in the bottom bar.
- Tap on “Repositories”
- Enable the option “F-Droid Archive”
- Go back to the F-Droid main screen, and search for ownCloud by using the lens icon on the floating button
- Scroll down, and in “versions”, get the 2.8.0 version
Let us know any problem or suggestion you have.