Locale Problem on Debian Buster

Something has broken my ownCloud server. I’ve not changed anything, so probably it’s a recent debian package upgrade that has broken it. I am seeing:

Setting locale to en_US.UTF-8/fr_FR.UTF-8/es_ES.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/ru_RU.UTF-8/pt_BR.UTF-8/it_IT.UTF-8/ja_JP.UTF-8/zh_CN.UTF-8 failed

Please install one of these locales on your system and restart your webserver.

However I have en_US installed:

$ locale -a | fgrep en_US
en_US
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8

So I’m stuck.

Is the error message above an ownCloud error or your OS error?

Could you be more specific?

That error comes from ownCloud and is shown on the main page instead of fields for user-name and password.

The desktop client gives this message:

ownCloud 
Setting locale to en_US.UTF-8/fr_FR.UTF-8/es_ES.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/ru_RU.UTF-8/pt_BR.UTF-8/it_IT.UTF-8/ja_JP.UTF-8/zh_CN.UTF-8 failed

Please install one of these locales on your system and restart your webserver. 
ownCloud – A safe home for all your data

I have the same problem. I have tried to use different versions of php without luck.

$ locale -a
C
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

I am using Debian buster, Apache/2.4.37 (Debian) OpenSSL/1.1.1 and PHP Version 7.2.9-1

The log reads:

{“reqId”:“NNBkyC8CFFrVwXPrakIx”,“level”:3,“time”:“2018-11-15T09:30:02-05:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“PHP”,“method”:"–",“url”:"–",“message”:“You are using a fallback implementation of the intl extension. Installing the native one is highly recommended instead. at /var/www/owncloud/lib/composer/patchwork/utf8/src/Patchwork/Utf8/Bootup/intl.php#18”}

I also have php7.2-intl installed

Package: php7.2-intl
Version: 7.2.9-1
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Priority: optional
Section: php
Maintainer: Debian PHP Maintainers team+pkg-php@tracker.debian.org
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 524 k
Depends: php-common (>= 1:35), ucf, php7.2-common (= 7.2.9-1), libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libicu60 (>= 60.1-1~), libstdc++6 (>= 4.9)
Provides: php-intl
Description: Internationalisation module for PHP
This package provides the Internationalisation module(s) for PHP.

PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web
development and can be embedded into HTML.
Homepage: http://www.php.net/

@dimitry could you please give us a hand?

I have found this on GitHub.

Could you try it?

I have changed the intl.default_locale to: en_US.UTF-8, see the relevant output of phpinfo() but the problem persists @dimitry, please help

I don’t know the solution.

It seems like an web server / OS issue, and not rly an ownCloud issue.

In the GitHub issue that I send you people fixed their issue by adjusting the web server configs and the php configs.

I would google to find the solution.

Is the dash before the 8 the issue? OC is looking for “en_US.UTF-8”, but the output of ‘locale -a’ has no dash:

locale -a | fgrep en_US
en_US
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8

You can take it as granted that I did that before I asked for help here.

I’m not 100% certain, but I think I had this same problem recently. I think I did these steps to fix it. I’m not sure, I didn’t take notes. Since then, I accidentally upgraded my php from 7.2 to 7.3, so I cannot test to see if this is the fix that did it or not.

Just in case I am remembering correctly, try looking here.

echo ; cat /etc/debian_version ; echo ; cat /etc/apache2/envvars | grep -ne "LANG\|locale" ; echo ; cat /etc/default/locale

buster/sid

25:## The locale used by some modules like mod_dav
26:export LANG=C
27:## Uncomment the following line to use the system default locale instead:
28:. /etc/default/locale
30:export LANG

#  File generated by update-locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

That was it, thank you @biffhero. I uncommented the ‘. ./etc/default/locale’ line in /etc/apache2/envvars and now it’s up again :slight_smile: