Localhost/owncloud giving 404

Steps to reproduce

1. after a fresh install I cannot access the login/setup page through localhost/owncloud

Expected behaviour

owncloud sign in page should display

Actual behaviour

the page goes directly to 404

Server configuration

Operating system: ubuntu 16.04

Web server: apache2

Database: sql

PHP version: 7.0

ownCloud version: 10.0.7-1.1

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: fresh install

Where did you install ownCloud from: owncloud linux package

List of activated apps: not there yet

Are you using encryption: no

Client configuration

Browser: firefox

I am still a newbie with linux in general, so when I screw something up I just reinstall Ubuntu and then OC. My setup has been doing great but I saw there was an upgrade to OC 10 and I wanted to install it. I did a clean wipe of Ubuntu like I have done many times and installed OC 10. I install the LAMP stack and then the php 7.0 intl, curl and php 7 zip. The 3 php installation files are new to me because OC worked fine for me with the LAMP stack before and this may be what changes things but I'm not sure. When I try to access the OC setup and login page it comes back as a 404. I have never had this happen before. Now, if I move the OC installation to the HTML folder it will work. When I did this I could not get marketplace apps because it said the apps folder is writable. So I figured this had something to do with moving the folder but I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, when you install OC the folder the path was /var/www/owncloud. Did something change with OC? I read somewhere that people are using symbolic links. I have never done one. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

for new people there is the ownCloud doc with useful info:

https://doc.owncloud.com/server/10.0/admin_manual/

I have looked there but I didn't see anything related to it. Thank you for the response.

Maybe the Apache configuration is missing?

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#configure-apache-web-server

That makes sense but where does the newly created file go? Normally OC worked right after you installed it. I just don't want to mess it up, lol. Thank you.

You mean this one?

/etc/apache2/sites-available/owncloud.conf

So do I create my conf file exactly like this? https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#configure-apache-web-server

Where do I put the file once I create it? The default OC installation is /var/www/owncloud. I know this is simple for a lot of you but I'm not very good with this stuff and I get confused easily. Any and all help is appreciated.

Do I do this conf file too?

No Problem.

you just open a editor. "nano" or "vi" or "vim".

For example with nano it would be like:

nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/owncloud.conf

then you copy the content from the doc:

Alias /owncloud "/var/www/owncloud/"

<Directory /var/www/owncloud/>
  Options +FollowSymlinks
  AllowOverride All

<IfModule mod_dav.c>
  Dav off
 </IfModule>

SetEnv HOME /var/www/owncloud
 SetEnv HTTP_HOME /var/www/owncloud

</Directory>

paste it in your terminal window where you have the editor opened.

save it, by pressing str+o, enter

now you just have to create a symlink by executing this command:

ln -s /etc/apache2/sites-available/owncloud.conf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/owncloud.conf

The location of this file is in /etc then apache2 and there is a folder "sites-available" there should be the file that we just created.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask, we were all beginners at some point :slight_smile:

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. Thank you dmitry! I will try it this morning. I wonder why they changed this from how it used to be.

I guess I did something wrong because it didn't work. I will walk back through it again and see what happened. I followed it and did what it says but maybe i had a typo or something.

LOL, now it says I can't write when I try to run OC. I used to do the LAMP installer and then make a few tweaks. I saw that OC has package installers with the php stuff. Do I still do the LAMP install and then do the package or just run the package only? I had OC setup before with a separate mount for the file storage. I have used a text file that I just copy and paste each command to get the LAMP and OC setup and it worked fine. I don't really know what I need to use and not use for OC10. I have read the admin manual but stuff skips all over the place and I don't know what I have to do and when to do it. I know I may not being using the right terms and I'm sorry for that. Any help would be appreciated.