Lost folders after changing there name

Hi guys apologies if this is a repeat but I was unable to find the same issue. I run OwnCloud on my Qnap and today I renamed some of my folders because I’m coming upto 12 months of backups. Originally I named them just as the month but as it was coming up to 12 months I remained the originals and just added 2017 to all of them and this months I added 2018.
Dec 2017, jan 2018, feb 2018 etc. I left it tonchanging the names then I tried to back some more data up and suddenly everything but this current month has diasappeared.

ownCloud rule number 1: NEVER touch the ownCloud's data folder (unless told otherwise). Consider it as a black box: you don't know nor care about what's in there.

Now, to solve your problem, you should run the occ files:scan command (check for options if needed). This will scan the ownCloud's FS (along with the user's home folder inside the data folder) and make the files there appear.

If you need to rename things, do it manually from the web UI or you can try to automate things through the webDAV interface.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the swift reply ill try that ASAP!!

Can you please explain what you mean by “automate things through the webdav interface”?

I have users connecting via webdav to mounted windows drives (considered local) . They are able to open, edit and save files successfully through the webdav drive in windows 10 explorer. We are having challenges, however, creating new directories and renaming files and directories. That is the problem I am trying to solve but I suspect you might be alluding to my answer through your comment about automation.

Thank you for your help.

You are expected to access to ownCloud from the outside via de webdav interface.
While you can upload the files directly into the ownCloud’s data directly bypassing ownCloud, the recommendation is to upload them via the ownCloud’s webdav interface in order to process them correctly.

Thank you. By OC’s webdav interface are you referring to the desktop client?

Thanks for your response.