Making the OC data folder visible as an NFS mount

I know this is generally a really bad idea but I will explain my reasons for wanting to make this possible.

OC 9.1
Ubuntu Server 16.04

I run two machines that are not used as user machines one hosts OC and the other a CrahPlan install among other things. I have our family photos on OC as well as my Music collection. I have in the past used CrashPlan to back up theses collections.

With CP I have an on site BU but also a friend and I offer each other off site. Which was very useful in a recent HD fail.

My new set up with OC is raided so slightly safer but I would still like to be able to have off-site via Crash plan.

Any suggestions as to how to make this possible.

Cheers,

John.

Why NFS? You can do a WebDAV mount and backup an ownCloud account through the other server that way?!
For NFS you need a Server/Client structure. Both systems would need to be mounts to the NFS Server and that of course would work nicely, but be a huge change in your system structure ...

Errm OK. Any chance you could elucidate the webDAV idea a little more?

I opted for NFS as I am more familiar with that and as I understand it it has a lower overhead. The CrashPlan machine isn't the most powerful.

The Crash Plan machine already uses NFS to mount shares from a third machine hosting our movies.
So the Crash Plan machine works as NFS client already. I therefore thought all I would have to do is mount the relevant folder on the OC system.

With the WebDAV would it be a per user thing?

Thanks for the reply.

WebDAV: Yes, per user. But you could of course share all Folders with one user, in which case you only need to access one for the backup ...

NFS: You can't do this through ownCloud, you do need to mount the underlying file system ... so if you change that all to NFS it works ... for backup don't forget to also make a backup of the oC database at the same time.

Ok. I am still not clear exactly what I would need to do to get WebDAV working. I will have to go and read up on it to see if it makes sense to me.

About NFS I think possibly I haven't been expressing myself clearly. It was my plan to do it through the standard filer. Effectively just share out the data dir. and get crash plan to back it up. It will only be reading it so shouldn't cause issues with messing up the DB... at least that is my thinking.

Thanks I would have completely overlooked the DB if you hadn't mentioned it.

I have set the permissions on the data dir to 755 which I would have thought should have allowed me to share it but when I try and mount it I get access denied.

Thanks again for you replies.

John

If you have a NFS filesystem underneath your ownCloud you can of course mount it form another machine. It has however nothing to do with ownCloud just normal Linux operations ...

If you have a NFS filesystem underneath your ownCloud you can of course mount it form another machine.

Hmm. Ok that is what I thought should be the case but I am still getting permission refused. :frowning:

It has however nothing to do with ownCloud just normal Linux operations ...

No I realised that which is why I chose to post to the Misc section of help as I thought that was for non OC directly related questions. I hoped there was more chance of someone understanding why I might be getting the refused access. Sorry if I have posed to the wrong place. :anguished:

So to slightly rephrase my question. Is there any effect on OC operation if I set the data dir to have 777 permissions. I don't want to leave it like that just to try it as that should surely give me access from another machine.

Cheers,

John