Migrate Owncloud Server 7.0.4 (on Ubuntu 12.04) to Owncloud Server 9 (on Ubuntu 16.04)

help

Hi there, I want to migrate my Owncloud Server Instance from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 16.04.
The current owncloud server has Version 7.0.4 and cannot be further updated on Ubuntu 12.04.

Can I migrate directly from an instance of Owncloud Version 7 to an instance of Owncloud Version 9?
I assume not..

I cannot install Owncloud Version 7 on the Ubuntu 16.04 either because it says there is no installation candidate for php5 available.

What is a proper way to migrate to the new server? Is there a way to get Owncloud 7 running on Ubuntu 16.04? Do I need to set up a Server with Ubuntu 14.04 first?

Server configuration Old Server
Operating system: Ubuntu 12.04
Web server: Apache/2.2.22
Database: Mysql
PHP version: PHP 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.24
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 7.0.4.2
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: n/a
ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log, see https://central.owncloud.org/t/how-to-find-webserver-or-oc-logfile-enable-php-logfile/808):

Server configuration New Server
Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04
Web server: Apache/2.4.18
Database: Mysql
PHP version: PHP 5.6.26 and PHP 7.0.11
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page):
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: n/a
ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log, see https://central.owncloud.org/t/how-to-find-webserver-or-oc-logfile-enable-php-logfile/808):

You should update using the .tar files. The documentation explains how this works.
Important: You need to upgrade from one major version to the next = 7.0 to 8.0 to 8.1 to 8.2 to 9.0 to 9.1

Thank you for this really quick answer.
I assume you mean upgrading the old (running) server?

Hi,

in my opinion the cleanest and fastest way to migrate from oC 7 to oC 9.1.1 on a new server would be:

1. Make a backup of all your data (files, calendar, contacts) on client side
  2. Install a fresh oC 9.1.1 installation
  3. Import the backed up data from the clients back to the new install

Yes. Of course do a backup upfront. Upgrading the OS should be rather easy in the end of the day. @RealRancor this approach will not work, due to migration scripts for the database in between major versions which are not part of 9.1.1 :frowning: We are still looking for skip upgrade solutions but have not found them yet.

How many users are there in the system? If you have not many users, loosing some of the metadata might likely not hurt ... if you have 500+ users you will need to protect all the sharing + metadata inforation in the database where the migration scripts are essential.

260 users with user management via LDAP user and group backend.
What's part of the metadata that would get lost?

edit: I don't know if it is relevant: The owncloud data itself is only mounted and is placed on a third server actually. The Mysql-Database is on the VM itself though.

My approach will definitely work :slight_smile:

I never said that the OP should do a migration of his data. Rather i advised to do a fresh installation of oC 9.1.1 on the new server and re-import the data (re-upload files, import .ics files, impory .vcf files) from the clients.

With that approach all the trouble with upgrading over 6 major and risking all the upgrading issues from the past (especially between 7 and 8) are gone.

Ok, that info about such a large user-base would have helped if it were provided from the beginning. :slight_smile:

Then the approach to make a fresh install is not applicable.

Yep, the sharing info will be lost. If that is ok, while all the data is protected it is indeed the best approach if major upgrades were missed.

Hi,
so what is the option to migrate owncloud 7.0.4 from 12.04 to new server 16.04 with new version of owncloud?
I wonder if someone can type here checklist how to do it.
thanks!!!

Avishay.

Hi,

as Ubuntu 12.04 is only providing PHP 5.3 your only option is to migrate the ownCloud instance to the new server following the instructions provided here:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/migrating.html

Afterwards you can upgrade the instance step by step:

7.0.4 -> latest 7.0.x -> latest 8.0.x -> latest 8.1.x -> latest 8.2.x -> latest 9.0.x -> latest 9.1.x

by following the upgrading instructions provided here:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.1/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html

Make sure you have good backups as this is a quite huge upgrade path and no one can guarantee that it works as expected.

Hi,
first of all, thanks for the quick answer,
But maybe I didn't wrote correctly,
I want to set all the user data on new server (not the same one). Now, I have the old 12.04 (damaged) ubuntu server with owncloud ver 7.04 and new fresh ubuntu 16.04 server without any installtion yet.
As I know, 16.04 is not usable with owncloud 7.04.
so, please I will be very appreciate if you will write me the steps what should i do.

thanks again for now,
Avishay.

The steps where already provided above.

But on 16.04 owncloud 7.04 to start the process.
so?....

That is not possible as 16.04 has only PHP7 and the older ownCloud 7.0.4 is not able to run on PHP7.

So if i'm understanding right, should i set new server 12.04 (or 14.04), install owncloud 7.0.4, migrate data and then upgrade to version 9 and at last, upgrade the server to 16.04?
thanks.

Exactly:

1. Migrate 7.0.4 to a new server providing PHP5.4-5.6 (Maybe a VM or similar)
  2. Upgrade step by step to 9.1.x as explained above
  3. Migrate 9.1.x to the new Ubuntu 16.04 server

Hi,
thank you!
Avishay

Hi, sorry for the late answer. For me it worked to go directly to Ubuntu 16.04 with oC 7.0.4 by installing php5.6 through the ondrej repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install php7.0 php5.6 php5.6-mysql php-gettext php5.6-mbstring php-xdebug libapache2-mod-php5.6 libapache2-mod-php7.0 php5.6-zip php5.6-XMLwriter php5.6-GD php5.6-ldap ldap-utils curl php5.6-curl smbclient php5.6-smbclient