Move owncloud from docker setup to nativ manual installation

hello community,

short overview

• task: move owncloud from docker setup to native / manual setup
  • question: export & import Database (currently this went wrong)

Full Story

i had some bugs in my owncloud-docker setup lately -
partly maybe caused by the virtualization of my hoster and the Docker compatibility… (it is running in a strato v-server.)
and as i had no more energy to track this deeper i thought hey just let us move the owncloud thing to a manual non virtualization raw installation on the server.
that is what i have tried yesterday…

the way so fare

I describe here in detail what i have done so fare…

basically i followed this Install ownCloud on Ubuntu 20.04 Quickstart Guid.

apache setup

i had to change the default apache port as iam running a proxy on the same server…

/etc/apache2/ports.conf

Listen 8089

<IfModule ssl_module>
        Listen 4439
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_gnutls.c>
        Listen 4439
</IfModule>
sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf
# change 80 to 8089
sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.conf
# change 443 to 4439

owncloud

at the step Download ownCloud
i used the zip file link from the official download page for 10.06:

cd /var/www/
wget https://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-complete-20201216.zip
unzip owncloud-complete-20201216.zip
chown -R www-data. owncloud

proxy

after the Installation with occ maintenance:install ....
(using all the config values from the docker .env and docker-compose.ymlfiles…)
i added the needed configs for my proxy setup

occ config:system:set trusted_proxies 1 --value="127.0.0.1"
occ config:system:set overwriteprotocol --value="https"
occ config:system:set trusted_domains 2 --value="cloud.myexample.de"

move files

next step was to move the files

sudo rsync -avt --progress /var/lib/docker/volumes/owncloud-docker_files/_data/apps /var/www/owncloud
sudo rsync -avt --progress /var/lib/docker/volumes/owncloud-docker_files/_data/files /var/www/owncloud

i did not update the config as i tried to setup with identical / tweaked config values and thought i don’t want to get unsutable things…

Move the Database

(based on this guide)

# enter the owncloud docker container
theuser@ourhost:~/owncloud-docker$ 
docker-compose exec owncloud /bin/bash

root@123a8c47c016: /var/www/owncloud # 
# create backup dump
mysqldump --single-transaction --column-statistics=0 -h db -u owncloud -powncloud owncloud > /mnt/data/owncloud-dbbackup.bak
# exit container
exit

if found out that the --column-statistics=0 is needed -
otherwise i got this error

mysqldump --single-transaction -h db     -u owncloud -pmypw owncloud > owncloud-dbbackup.bak
mysqldump: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SELECT COLUMN_NAME,                       JSON_EXTRACT(HISTOGRAM, '$."number-of-buckets-specified"')                FROM information_schema.COLUMN_STATISTICS                WHERE SCHEMA_NAME = 'owncloud' AND TABLE_NAME = 'oc_account_terms';': Unknown table 'COLUMN_STATISTICS' in information_schema (1109)
theuser@ourhost:~/owncloud-docker$
# move backupfile
sudo mv /var/lib/docker/volumes/owncloud-docker_files/_data/owncloud-dbbackup.bak ~/.

then i tried to import

# import db
mysql -v --progress-reports -h localhost -u owncloud -powncloud owncloud < owncloud-dbbackup.bak

but got a error

ERROR 1071 (42000) at line 51: Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes

after
some search i found that this could be fixed by changing the database config:

# prepare db
sudo mysql -u root -p
MariaDB [(none)]> use owncloud;
MariaDB [owncloud]> set global innodb_large_prefix=on;
MariaDB [owncloud]> set global innodb_file_format=Barracuda;
exit
occ maintenance:repair

i think the occ maintenance:repairdid not do something here…

with this changed i could import the db with

# import db
mysql -v --progress-reports -h localhost -u owncloud -powncloud owncloud < owncloud-dbbackup.bak

just for sure i also run occ maintenance:repair

and indeed i could login with my old users - and from the web it seemd fine at first -
but with my admin user i found that iam not able to see the user list -
and in the owncloud logs there were som errors…
i had to fix the hardcoded paths to the user files in the db -
following this guid on…

sudo mysql -u root -p
MariaDB [(none)]> use owncloud;

UPDATE oc_storages
  SET id='local::/var/www/owncloud/data/'
  WHERE id='local::/mnt/data/files/';

UPDATE oc_accounts
SET home = REPLACE(
    home,
    '/mnt/data/files/',
    '/var/www/owncloud/data/'
);

this fixed the user path errors in the log.
but the problem with the user listing does not change.
i encoded one of the error messages
(by the way - is there a tool to do this? - i have done it by hand :wink: )

Code: "42000"
​
Exception: "PDOException"
​
File: "/var/www/owncloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php"
​
Line: 129
​
        Syntax error or access violation: 
        1253 COLLATION 'utf8_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8mb4'
​
Trace: 
#0 /var/www/owncloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php(129): PDOStatement->execute(NULL)
#1 /var/www/owncloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Statement.php(155): Doctrine\\DBAL\\Driver\\PDOStatement->execute(NULL)
#2 /var/www/owncloud/lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Mapper.php(241): Doctrine\\DBAL\\Statement->execute()
#3 /var/www/owncloud/lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Mapper.php(337): OCP\\AppFramework\\Db\\Mapper->execute('SELECT DISTINCT...', Array, 200, 0)
#4 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/User/AccountMapper.php(176): OCP\\AppFramework\\Db\\Mapper->findEntities('SELECT DISTINCT...', Array, 200, 0)
#5 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/User/Manager.php(305): OC\\User\\AccountMapper->find('', 200, 0)
#6 /var/www/owncloud/settings/Controller/UsersController.php(302): OC\\User\\Manager->find('', 200, 0)
#7 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(153): OC\\Settings\\Controller\\UsersController->index(0, 200, '', '', '')
#8 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(85): OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Dispatcher->executeController(Object(OC\\Settings\\Controller\\UsersController), 'index')
#9 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php(100): OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OC\\Settings\\Controller\\UsersController), 'index')
#10 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\\AppFramework\\App::main('UsersController', 'index', Object(OC\\AppFramework\\DependencyInjection\\DIContainer), Array)
#11 /var/www/owncloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php(342): OC\\AppFramework\\Routing\\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array)
#12 /var/www/owncloud/lib/base.php(917): OC\\Route\\Router->match('/settings/users...')
#13 /var/www/owncloud/index.php(54): OC::handleRequest()
#14 {main}

​so yeah - it seems i have caused some invalid combination with my database config changes…

any help or ideas on this?

sunny greetings
stefan

Have a look at the documentation :slight_smile:

I found this section:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/10.6/admin_manual/configuration/database/linux_database_configuration.html#configure-mysql-for-4-byte-unicode-support

so probably it is sufficient to run
sudo -u www-data php occ db:convert-mysql-charset

HTH

Edit: Have a look at the InnoDB settings as well, it is possible you omit the innodb_file_per_table=ON - line.

3 Likes

Thanks @cortho
that indeed solved the problem.

sunny greetings
stefan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.