Moving large files to Owncloud on QNAP NAS

I am trying to wrap my head around migrating from a Drobo to Owncloud.

I currently have about 12TB of data on an older drobo that I am transferring to my new QNAP NAS.

I have Owncloud installed on the QNAP through container station and then the Drobo connected via USB 3 to the NAS and I can see it in the QNAP file explorer.

Can I manually copy the files from the QNAP file explore from drobo to the owncloud/files directly and then force owncloud to scan and index the files?

OR

Do you I need to connect the Drobo to a client computer, copy the files locally and then have the Owncloud client slowing index the files back to the NAS?

Your idea of copying files directly from the Drobo to the OwnCloud directory on the QNAP NAS is feasible and likely more efficient than going through a client computer. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Copy Files Directly: As you’ve already connected your Drobo to the QNAP NAS, you can use the QNAP file explorer to copy your files from the Drobo directly to the OwnCloud data directory. Ensure that you put them into the correct user’s files directory (typically /owncloud/data/[username]/files/).
  2. Set Proper Permissions: After the file transfer is complete, you need to ensure that the file permissions are set correctly. OwnCloud runs as a specific user (often www-data), and this user needs to have read/write permissions to the files and directories. You can use SSH to log in to your QNAP NAS and run chown -R www-data:www-data /path/to/owncloud/data/username/files and chmod -R 755 /path/to/owncloud/data/username/files.
  3. Rescan Files: OwnCloud doesn’t automatically recognize new files added directly to the data directory. You’ll need to run a command to manually scan and index the new files. You can do this by running the following command (substitute the appropriate username) from the command line: sudo -u www-data php /path/to/your/owncloud/occ files:scan --all. This command may take a while to run, especially with a large number of files.

The above steps are a more direct method and should be faster than copying files via a client computer. However, remember to verify that the migration was successful: check that all files are present and that OwnCloud can access them.

Remember to perform a backup of your data before proceeding, as data migration always carries a risk of data loss.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.