Multi-site cloud

Hello ownClouders,

I dont know if I tagged this question correctly so please call me out if Im wrong.

I have been dreaming of setting up an ownCloud for a few years now but never got around to it.
Its time.

I want to setup a cloud for my family. 3 kids and my parents.
I want to place a server in each house and have them synced for availability and redundancy peruses.

The idea is to have all the family photos and videos backed up in multiple locations. In addition to that, if my brother want to show my parents a video of his kids that is saved in our cloud, I don’t want them to have to download the video. It should already be on the server in their house.

Does ownCloud support this?
How would I go about setting something like this up?
Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I would setup 1 server and have a backup server. 3 or 4 servers in several locations sounds like a overkill to me, just to avoid loading times.

I would setup ownCloud server at one place, have the data uploaded ( photos, videos) and then make the folders offline available. So the files stay offline at the user.

If you still want to setup 3-4 servers and have the data synched, you need federation. We have a documentation for this at doc.owncloud.com.

1 Like

Hi @dmitry,
Thanks for the response.

Availability is the number 1 issue with private clouds these days. My family would quickly loose interest in using the system if it didn’t do things quickly. unfortunately non of us have a fast enough connection to host such a system for the entire family.

Federation doesn’t seem like the solution I’m looking for. Unless I misunderstood.
My intention is to have all the users log into their ownCloud account through a single address, lets say mycloud.example. If I use federation each household would need to log into its own server (mycloud.example/1 mycloud.example/2 etc…). I don’t want them to deal with what server they are accessing. All 4 servers should work as 1. So a user would share to a local user not a different server.

Another issue with federation for me is that the files are synced between sites only after they are shared and the share is added.

@dv1r
maybe you should use External storage support Extension.
This way you can add all the other owncloud servers to be External Storages for the main one.
and then you give users access to theirs own server, also they can share between them pictures folders.

@protektwar and @dv1r

Hi, I have a similar case, only that we at the office several qnap nas running owncloud in the office, from different departments. Because of Covid we all cant be in the office at once but need to work remotely. With this External Storage support, can I Make a new owcloud instance access from web domain/ssl and mount the other owncloud instances as external storage? Would this work for our FTP servers also?

Meaning when in office they access local and when not in office they can access via one site domain all the other instances?

(no matter how much i tried to hard to get qnap nas owncloud to access from domain) besides I don’t want to have to maintain several domains just for access to each independently

@ dv1r

Did your setup work? Please share info on setup

Thank you

Hi @goleagt,

With External Storage support you can add other owncloud servers for which the folder structure will be added to other folders named as you want during config phase. Also it supports SFTP.

I never used them…

1 Like

Thank you I will try it.

Do you recommend that besides adding them as external storage, should i also federate them with the same instance?

Hi @goleagt,
Unfortunately I did not end up using ownCloud.

I setup a NAS at each site and synced them using syncthing.
The home with the largest upload hosts for remote access.
Locally all units are mapped the same and users are also synced.

So we can access all of our files at each one of our homes quickly.
Remote access could be better, but it is what it is.

Not very elegant but it gets the job done :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope you find a solution.
Sorry I wasn’t more helpful.

Stay safe :slight_smile: