Multiple accounts are sharing the folder

Just upgraded to 2.9.0 on Win10 and got the following warning:

Multiple accounts are sharing the folder <…>
This configuration is know to lead to dataloss and is no longer supported.
Please consider removing this folder from the account and adding it again.

Expected behaviour

This configuration worked for me for years, why all of a sudden I can no longer use it?

Actual behaviour

My desktop sync folder seems to be ignored now. I don’t want to remove it and sync 300GB+ again. How can I just remove it from the ignored list?

Steps to reproduce

1. Updated the desktop client to 2.9.0

Server configuration

Operating system:
Windows 10
Web server:

Database:

PHP version:

ownCloud version:

Storage backend (external storage):

Client configuration

Client version:

Operating system:

OS language:

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog):

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only):

Installation path of client:

Logs

Please use Gist (https://gist.github.com/) or a similar code paster for longer
logs.

Template for output < 10 lines

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt
    (On Windows using cmd.exe, you might need to first cd into the ownCloud directory)
    (See also http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/2.2/troubleshooting.html#client-logfile )

2. Web server error log:

3. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log):

2 Likes

I second this, it is a (apparently rather cosmetic) bug introduced in Desktop Client 2.9.0 which does not affect the sync functionality itself (at least in my case everything gets properly synced).

I can confirm this. The “error message” is a bit annoying, but the synchronization works perfectly.

User TheOneRing commented in owncloud github repo:

You either have multiple accounts using the same folder or some old and orphaned ._sync_*.db or .sync_*.db files from previous setups in that folder.

The solution seems to work for me as well. But keep the file with the newest date.

So how do you solve this problem, exactly? Would you please share a link to the respective Github page?

https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues/9002

First close the client. In the root directory of the cloud folder I had 2 hidden files, ._sync_*.db and .sync_*.db. I renamed both of them in the first attempt (bak.filename). I noticed that one of them should be preserved. Therefore I renamed the file of the two, which had a current modification date, again.

Afterwards the exclamation mark was still present, but only that a hidden file was not synchronized (my bak. file).

After I had removed this, everything seems to work without error.

It is not yet clear to me whether the problem is finally solved. User Vogtinator has written that actually a newer db file should be created.

Thank you, I confirm that removing the older “orphaned” .sync*.db file does make that notification disappear. However, instead of my lovely green “fully synced” icons the Desktop client now bitches about some files that were not synced because they are hidden and thus ignored. And there is no way to look up these files as the log section does not list ALL files that were ignored because there were too many of them :frowning:

Urggghhh, what a piece of crap, I mean come on, it is a free community version and I kinda cannot complain about things, but can you please leave all existing functionality alone as long as does its job? What is the point in “improving” the software if it only causes more and more new bugs?

Why in the world should I bother with those *.db files? I have no idea what purpose they serve and I am not a developer, can you please spare me of this? There are 3 threads on this forum regarding this stuff as I am writing this.

Also, the server update procedure is broken (again!), as it causes 500 HTTP error when updating to 10.8. I almost lost my Owncloud installation yesterday due to it. Each time I have to update my server I need to have my fingers crossed and hope it won’t cause any trouble that would cost me hours of my time to solve.

Goddamit!

PS: just in case, it is not personal, but rather some of my thoughts on the current quality of the product

3 Likes

see my comment in the other thread: Multiple accounts - #21 by michaelstingl

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.