New Central categories - you decide!

Hi beloved community,

as we introduced the marketplace we oversaw the categories of the central, the heart of our community - and realized how outdated the current category system is. @Kawohl, @felixboehm and I invented new categories and subcategories, and now want to hear your opinion on them.

Formatting:

• Category
    • Subcategory

Software Versions would always be in tags.

• Server

• Help
    • Changelog
    • Release Notes
    • Enhancements
  • Desktop Client

• Help
    • Changelog
    • Release Notes
    • Enhancements
  • Android

• Help
    • Changelog
    • Release Notes
    • Enhancements
  • iOS

• Help
    • Changelog
    • Release Notes
    • Enhancements
  • Apps

• Themes

• Services

• Marketplace

• Changelog
    • Help
    • Enhancements
  • ownCloud.org

• News

• Events

• Staff

• Other

Changelogs and FAQs are going into the category of the version which they belong to. Tags are free for all, you can choose new ones in the future, via the CHAOS principle.

What do you think about this system? Any cases we didn’t think about? Tell us your preference, this is your space! If you don’t object, the changes go live next week.

Thanks for participating in this awesome forum,
Emil

2 Likes

Sorry, I just discovered the changes, some feedback:

• You clutter the whole structure with too many subcategories. How many release notes and changelogs do you expect? Do you really need 5 different release notes and changelog subcategories? In the previous form we had one announcement category (also in the old forum) and it was never the most used category. And Apps don't even have a category where they can publish changelogs or announce new versions (and they probably need it the most).

• Do you really want enhancements in the forum? It's a nice idea but in reality they are just ignored. Release planning contributions from the community? Not worth the effort: https://central.owncloud.org/t/owncloud-opp-long-term-planning/2510, https://central.owncloud.org/t/owncloud-opp-10-0-release-based-planning/2511
    Either implement something proper to do this seriously or move it to github.

• The international category is missing. Writing in English is better, however not all are confident in English and are very happy to ask some questions in their native language.

• Many categories don't apply for users and by the overwhelming number of categories, many will just end up in the "Server" or "other" category.

• FAQs and Howtos can be tagged, however without category, they are much less visible for someone who is looking for answers (many ignored it anyway).

Probably it's not all this bad because the categories are not as important as for other forum software. So if you are not subscribed to certain categories, you can easily miss posts (like I did this one). Sorry for the harsh words. Lately I wasn't very active, so I can't really complain.

@kljhlkhglklfgh what do you think?

I can't comment on the category topic as i'm not a user of this forums and don't create topics. I'm just answering to posts so i don't care about categories. :slight_smile:

But i agree with the enhancements / feature requests category. As pointed out in [1] the "old" feature requests category just was orphaned. As long as no one from the development team is commenting something like "we're considering this as a feature" or "no, no way" people get frustrated if their feature request don't get any attraction / comments.

[1]

Btw. "Server-Help" (and maybe also other categories) are missing the issue template.

You are totally right. A shame I didn't get this nice feedback earlier, so I have to reverse a lot of our changes, but well, that's my job. At least I should make sure to discuss them with you beforehand :slight_smile: So, what do you say to this structure?

• Category
    • Subcategory

Software Versions would always be in tags.

• Server
    • Help
    • Hosting Area
    • oC modifications
  • Desktop Client

• Help
  • Android

• Help
  • iOS

• Help
  • Apps

• Themes
    • Services
  • International
    exact language with tags

• Marketplace

• ownCloud.org

• News
    Also for announcements

• Development
    shall we keep this? ppl are using it, but...

• Events

• Contributor Conference
    • Meetups
  • GSoC

• GSoC 2017
  • Staff

• Other

Feature requests would go into github, not the central. Better to have them in one place. FAQs always go into the Server/Android/etc. main category - that's where people go to when they have the questions, if am I wrong? I think that's also the reason they ignore the FAQ category usually, because nobody realizes their question is frequently asked.

What do you say? I'm new here, you have probably better ideas, that's why I reached out to you in the first place :slight_smile:

Emil

Yes, subcategories need to be adapted. Great Feedback.
I think it is very cool to have a more sorted main category section. Any more missing?

Yes, FRs need product management involved for planning, priorities and roadmap - not developers. Sure developers can join in working on concept.
And enhancements can also be done without ownCloud company, especially with app development. Like the Moodle integration for example.

Languages should be done with tags IMHO. Categories are sorting topics / interests and tags can be applied many ones. But totally open to that.

Thanks for the feedback, I will wait a few more days if you guys can think of other stuff, and then implement the changes next week :slight_smile:

If you have more ideas, please share them with me!

Emil

1 Like

Perhaps one Client-Category and then Desktop/Android/iOs as sub-categories.

Yes why not. Using the normal categories + tagging would be also ok, perhaps a separate category is not bad either that you don't have to go through all languages you don't understand.

Is someone of the website team active there? It doesn't help if we suggest to open a bugreport on github.

Or just one category? There is enough time between the events that the date of the posting should be clear to which GSoC it refers to.

Only motivates people not to think about their problem and leaving a lot of work for moderators to sort this out.

What's still not clear for me, the apps-section, what are Services? Actual apps? Or does this go in the main category?

As we intend to make it possible for service providers, consultants and all kinds of services around owncloud to publish and market their services on the marketplace we thought it would be good to have a category for that.

Agreed.

ownCloud.org will see a rework shortly.

1 Like

Yes, sure. Just replace "developers" with the group handling / deciding about such feature requests as long as some one is replying to the users and shows at least that the feature request is noticed.

Without that the FR category should be (IMHO) closed / removed for the reasons already explained.

We will implement your requests tomorrow: https://central.owncloud.org/t/central-maintenance/7719