New User - HELP PLEASE? Set Up Owncload

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a new account and would be grateful for any help you can give me.

Am I correct saying that this is a private cloud and therefore all data would need to be stored on my own server. If so, is there any advantage in doing this as opposed to just holding the data on my network?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, it is correct. You can also first encrypt your data in ownCloud by using encryption app, then store in other storage providers (Google Drive, Dropbox).

You can take a look: https://owncloud.org/faq/#whatis

Ok thanks. I currently use 2 laptops that access dropbox to store and share files. Could I use Owncloud with the data stored on one of my laptop hardrives instead of needing to use a server?

I am trying to ensure I am compliant for GDPR?

you can use one of your laptops as an owncloud server if its operating system is Linux, owncloud can work even within raspberry pi.

Thanks, they are running windows so I guess this is not an option. Can you tell me what the advantage is in using Owncloud as opposed to setting up a home network with my 2 laptops and encrypting the drives and sharing access between them? Thank you