Newbie's Installation Problem: cannot create a folder

I have got some problems after I installed ownCloud on shared web server. I cannot create a folder, add a contact, create a calendar or add an entry to the calendar. However, I can upload a file.

I installed ownCloud v10.0.2 via a so-called installatron. A service of the web host.

Cannot find any sensible in the logs. Who can help me here.

I get the following Security & setup warnings. Has it got anything to do with the memory caching?

Transactional file locking should be configured to use memory-based locking, not the default slow database-based locking. See the documentation ↗ for more information.

You are accessing this site via HTTP. We strongly suggest you configure your server to require using HTTPS instead as described in our security tips.

No memory cache has been configured. To enhance your performance please configure a memcache if available. Further information can be found in our documentation.

No, these are normal if you not yet have done your server tuning

The limited permission issue is a weird one though. have you access to your server via ssh?

No, but I could set it up, if that's the solution.

It would help getting to the solution :slight_smile:

If you can connect to the server, try this command:

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/owncloud/

screenshots and log output would also be helpful

Operation not permitted

I had to change the directory in the command line, but I got the message "Operation not permitted".

are you a user on your server or an admin?

try sudo -i to get to the root account

I am a simple user, Dmtry. The only thing I could do, is passing the commands on to technical support of my hosting provider.

just for your information, the screenshot I get when I try creating a folder.

Okay, can you ask the support guys to send you the owncloud.log file?

it's located at /var/www/owncloud/data/owncloud.log

I don't know the skill level of them, but you could also tell them to do a specific command.

cat /var/www/owncloud/data/owncloud.log

and then copy paste the output in a file and send this file to you.

the file could also be at/var/www/html/owncloud/data/owncloud.log

I suspect you don't have all the permissions to write in the database.

My web host provider came up with the resolution:

Create new, empty .htaccess directly in domains//public_html with following rules (or add to the existing one):

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
with following rules:

Works out fine!

Glad to hear that

zuizuizui