Newly added files not visible on external storage

I have owncloud sharing external storage (actually ZFS on OmniOS/napp-it shared via SMB) and I have a newer share in which I can’t see any files added in the past year or so.

I don’t think this is a permissions problem, because I can see these files via Windows with same credentials, and I also have another external storage share (inside the same ZFS filesystem, and using the same credentials/settings/etc) where newly added files appear with no issues.

I deleted and recreated the external storage folder/share in owncloud with no change. I have also reset the ACLs on the folders a few times, giving my own user full control, with no effect.

Steps to reproduce

1. Share a folder through SMB external storage (I had to do this using occ because the browser UI for doing it apparently doesn’t work, but that’s another story.)
  2. Create new text file in the shared folder via an SMB client, e.g. Windows, and observe that you can open, edit, and save it.
  3. Observe that the file does not appear in owncloud at all.

Expected behaviour

The newly created file should be viewable in the external storage in owncloud.

Actual behaviour

The newly created file is not visible in the browser or the app.

Server configuration

Operating system: Centos 7.9

Web server: nginx 1.20.1

Database: mysql

PHP version: 7.4

ownCloud version: 10.7.0.4

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: Updated

Where did you install ownCloud from: Centos package repository

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):

No errors have been found.

The content of config/config.php:

https://gist.github.com/blandoon/63509d3b6d409f1eaf14d977aeab92cb#file-config_sanitized-php

List of activated apps:

https://gist.github.com/blandoon/63509d3b6d409f1eaf14d977aeab92cb#file-app-list

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: yes (SMB)

Are you using encryption: no

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: no

Client configuration

Browser: Firefox 89.0.2 (Windows 10)

Logs

Web server error log

https://gist.github.com/blandoon/63509d3b6d409f1eaf14d977aeab92cb#file-error-log

ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log)

https://gist.github.com/blandoon/63509d3b6d409f1eaf14d977aeab92cb/raw/2ab7f93dff689a5ed2eaaca31f0e3389f0c67427/owncloud.log

We might need relevant logs. The logs you’ve provided contain a bunch of errors that you might have solved already. No idea what’s the current status.

In addition, note that ownCloud detects changes based on the modification time of the files and folders. When you create a new text file in the SMB server, check that the modification time of the parent folder is also changed.

1 Like

Thanks - I did confirm that the modification dates on the folder and files change when I edit them (in Windows).

I stopped the web server & fpm, cleared out the log, restarted and accessed a few files - I got one line in the owncloud.log, as follows:

{"reqId":"c4hs7ZymlLDEQOod1ADr","level":1,"time":"July 21, 2021 02:15:01","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"cron","method":"--","url":"--","message":"Invalidating tokens older than 2021-07-21T08:55:01+00:00"}

If there is a different log I should be looking at, debug levels I can turn up, another way of testing, etc., please let me know.

I don’t think php-fpm is supported. It might be causing problems.

I think you could try with an official docker image if you’re familiar with docker (Docker Hub) in order to check if there is a problem with the code or it’s with your setup.
You could also try with the VM, although the setup there might be more convoluted.

1 Like

I have never touched Docker in my life, so I have no idea how much effort it would be to do that.

I set this server up a few years ago on (I think) owncloud 8.x, so it used what was then a recommended setup with nginx and php-fpm, and has just been upgraded as time went on. I noticed that the nginx stuff has been stripped out of the newer installation docs - I would be OK with migrating over to apache and… whatever the alternative to php-fpm is, if anyone has any guidance on doing that while leaving the rest of the system in place.

For a quick check, docker is easy. You only need to install docker in your machine and follow the instructions in Installing with Docker :: ownCloud Documentation to install ownCloud inside docker. For a quick evaluation (in order to check the code works properly) you can just follow the “Quick evaluation” section.

You could also try to setup nginx with fastcgi, but I don’t know how much effort is the switch.

Another alternative is to setup a fresh installation, do some quick tests (specially your issue), and if everything goes right, start moving file from one server to another.
If it’s a small installation it’s something you might consider.

Anyway, the recommendation of docker is because it should be pretty fast to have a setup working so you can double check your issue without having to waste time setting up an environment yourself.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to start learning about docker anyway, I’ll either give that a try or spin up a second environment like you mentioned. This server is only used by friends & family and everything is on external storage anyway; rebuilding it with apache and a supportable configuration might not be that bad.

I’ll reply when I have managed to do that - whether it reveals another problem or just resolves the whole thing.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.