"Nextcloud Is Just An Ordinary Dirty Deal"

You know that there are very few app developers, many apps only have one maintainer. So it could be that the app is not running on the other platform and they don't have the time or motivation to fix it for the other platform. Are there really many fixes required or is it more a problem with testing? If it is only testing, this can be easily done by the community.

2FA stopped OC support:

Next step: ownCloud makes the desktop client incompatible with NC, modifies next 8.2, 9.0, 9.1 updates that they cannot be upgraded to NC any more? That would be bad for the whole community and people will rather turn away from this platform.

You should find an agreement with NC to share the development of some "core" apps and the clients unless you can't provide a full support all by yourself (which currently no solution provides). I know both are very healthy and better and stronger than ever before.

We are not willing to take any effort in actively wasting time in trying to introduce incompatibilites. I assume nc doesn't either. Any incompatibilities which are existing by now are a natural result of both companies/communities working on different area and choosing different solutions.

We had some talks in this direction very soon after the fork. There will be no agreement because at the end we have two companies competing in the same market.

All we can do is to use the power of open source, fork apps and make them compatible - in either direction.

3 Likes

I am maintaining the Audio Player - and it is available in both stores.
Currently it worked pretty well to keep it compatible and this is definitely my target.

the only differences during the publishing process:

• OCC App needs to be signed
  • OCC App needs a store review to come out of "experimental" at every update :frowning:
  • NC App Store can handle multi-language info.xml entries

these differences lead to 2 archives - one for OC and one for NC.
Positive side effect is, that you can count the downloads separately from the GIT-Api

3 Likes

i stopen using OC too, nextclound does not help me more rather thant, but the change comes due the constants negatives to provide me some help to use oc older in older linux boxes.-..

in this environment if i must "modernize" and "CHANGE" so "LEST CHANGE ALL" and we change the oc to next cloud...

nextclound have video call and chat as internall app, not as "other app", also nextcloiud made a IMPORTANT FEATURE A DEFAUT: text full search!!! in owncliud its still experimental until 9, while sice 7 and 8 fork are internal and defualt in nextcloud!, tht its a important pain!

another important pain feature: touch in the (no matter what are happened) comunity priority, does not invalidate me every idea o request i made... about the topic... very social

in github, i made a advertising, and the response was "get out of here, go to next cloud" .. well thanks for the idea guys of owncloud..

also in owncloud some thing (in same threath) talk about "lof of Inc developers" what a lay!

so related to lasted i mention.. the article does not told all the history! ownclud have a very egocentric amount of people that assume are ower of the place! when the community are the real workers and constructors... sorry guys... nextcloud point!

You know these people are now at Nextcloud?

there are in both sides.. and i talking about people still in owncloud due these fact was few dais ago, see my post at github in oc issues

and u sure be a OC , use real names and real accounts, not fake accounts okey.. be real, another NC point jajaja

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this, Rello!

We at ownCloud have concentrated a lot on quality in the last months and very selected features around an even better file sync and share experience. I am sorry to hear that you moved on and certainly hope that we can welcome you back in the ownCloud Community at some point and in some fashion and be it that you maintain or help with an app which runs on both ownCloud and the Fork ... We could add features by the truckload, but honestly we rather fix some of the many issues which continue to be challenges in our customer deployments should also be annoyances for every community member as well.

3 Likes

well i not a mantainer but by example, the app roundcube and storagecharts (almost the most higest rated) are currently working in owncloud.. today i still contribute to these apps.. in all that i can..

3 Likes