No user or groups appear when trying to share folders

OC 10.1.0

Trying to share folders with users or groups

Expected behaviour

Users and groups should appear when typing text in the share box.

Actual behaviour

When I am logged into OC web portal and click the share icon next to a folder, I type the name of any user or group I have created, and the circle to the right briefly spins, but no users or groups appear that I can share with. Folders that I have shared in the past still do show the correct users or groups as part of the share, but still can not add new users or groups. If I instead try to do this through the windows shell integration, similarly the wheel to the right spins briefly, but no users or groups populate below the input.

This happened after my upgrade from OC 9 to 10.0, I tried updating to 10.1 today to see if it would resolve but it did not. As a side note - when I look at admin-security-sessions, all sessions showing are from a month ago, sounds like from when I updated to 10.0. From the errors I see in my log file I believe it may have something to do with the mysql and the utf8mb4 charset.

Server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Web server: Apache

Database: MySQL

**PHP version:**7.2

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)10.1.0

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: Updated from 10.0, 9 before that

Where did you install ownCloud from: the OC repository

Results from http://example.com/index.php/settings/integrity/failed - “No errors have been found.”

OC config report
{
“system”: {
“updatechecker”: false,
“instanceid”: “ocwzk9ghqybg”,
“passwordsalt”: “REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE”,
“secret”: “REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE”,
“trusted_domains”: [
REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE
],
“datadirectory”: “/srv/owncloud/data”,
“overwrite.cli.url”: “https://REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE”,
“dbtype”: “mysql”,
“version”: “10.1.0.4”,
“dbname”: “ownclouddb”,
“dbhost”: “localhost”,
“dbtableprefix”: “oc_”,
“mysql.utf8mb4”: true,
“dbuser”: “REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE”,
“dbpassword”: “REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE”,
“logtimezone”: “UTC”,
“installed”: true,
“theme”: “”,
“loglevel”: 2,
“maintenance”: false
}
}

List of activated apps:
Enabled:

• comments: 0.3.0
  • configreport: 0.1.1
  • dav: 0.4.0
  • federatedfilesharing: 0.3.1
  • federation: 0.1.0
  • files: 1.5.1
  • files_external: 0.7.1
  • files_sharing: 0.11.0
  • files_trashbin: 0.9.1
  • files_versions: 1.3.0
  • files_videoplayer: 0.9.8
  • firstrunwizard: 1.1
  • market: 0.3.0
  • notifications: 0.4.1
  • provisioning_api: 0.5.0
  • systemtags: 0.3.0
  • updatenotification: 0.2.1
    Disabled:
  • encryption
  • external
  • user_external
    Are you using external storage, if yes which one: No

Are you using encryption: no

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: No

Client configuration

**Browser:Chrome

**Operating system:**Windows

** Log File
I have seen multiple of these errors in my log file

message":“Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException: An exception occurred while executing ‘SELECT DISTINCT a.id AS id, user_id, lower_user_id, display_name, email, last_login, backend, state, quota, home FROM oc_accounts a LEFT JOIN oc_account_terms t ON a.id = t.account_id WHERE (lower_user_id LIKE ?) OR (display_name COLLATE utf8_general_ci LIKE ?) OR (email COLLATE utf8_general_ci LIKE ?) OR (t.term LIKE ?) ORDER BY display_name ASC LIMIT 200 OFFSET 0’ with params [”%light%", “%light%”, “%light%”, “%light%”]:\n\nSQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1253 COLLATION ‘utf8_general_ci’ is not valid for CHARACTER SET ‘utf8mb4’ at /var/www/owncloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/AbstractMySQLDriver.php#115

message":"Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException: An exception occurred while executing ‘SELECT c.carddata, c.uri FROM oc_cards c WHERE c.id IN (SELECT DISTINCT cp.cardid FROM oc_cards_properties cp WHERE (((cp.name = ?) AND (cp.value COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci LIKE ?)) OR ((cp.name = ?) AND (cp.value COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci LIKE ?))) AND (cp.addressbookid = ?)) ORDER BY c.uri ASC LIMIT 200 OFFSET 0’ with params [“CLOUD”, “%light%”, “FN”, “%light%”, “1”]:\n\nSQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1253 COLLATION ‘utf8mb4_general_ci’ is not valid for CHARACTER SET ‘utf8’ at /var/www/owncloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/AbstractMySQLDriver.php#115

Hey,

it looks to me that you have some issues with your database setup:

'utf8mb4_general_ci’ is not valid for CHARACTER SET ‘utf8’

‘utf8_general_ci’ is not valid for CHARACTER SET ‘utf8mb4’

Maybe some resources like the ones below is helping you to correct this?