No web homepage after installing OwnCloud?

Hi, I’ve started to dabble with OwnCloud today, and have followed the instructions at Installing with Docker :: ownCloud Documentation

I’m running Docker on Windows 10, and can see all 3 docker images running, but when I go to localhost:8082 (the port I specified to use in the .env and yaml files), all I get is “localhost didn’t send any data”

In the logs, everything seems to be ok :

owncloud_server | Creating volume folders...
owncloud_server | Creating hook folders...
owncloud_server | Waiting for MySQL...
owncloud_server | services are ready!
owncloud_server | Waiting for Redis...
owncloud_server | services are ready!
owncloud_server | Removing custom folder...
owncloud_server | Linking custom folder...
owncloud_server | Removing config folder...
owncloud_server | Linking config folder...
owncloud_server | Writing config file...
owncloud_server | Fixing base perms...
owncloud_server | Fixing data perms...
owncloud_server | Fixing hook perms...
owncloud_server | Installing server database...
owncloud_server | ownCloud was successfully installed
owncloud_server | ownCloud is already latest version
owncloud_server | Writing objectstore config...
owncloud_server | Writing php config...
owncloud_server | Updating htaccess config...
owncloud_server | .htaccess has been updated
owncloud_server | Writing apache config...
owncloud_server | Enabling cron background...
owncloud_server | Set mode for background jobs to 'cron'
owncloud_server | Touching cron configs...
owncloud_server | Starting cron daemon...
owncloud_server | Starting apache daemon...
owncloud_server | [Wed Jul 14 20:09:11.684711 2021] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 210] AH00163: Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) configured -- resuming normal operations
owncloud_server | [Wed Jul 14 20:09:11.684759 2021] [core:notice] [pid 210] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/apache2 -f /etc/apache2/apache2.conf -D FOREGROUND'
owncloud_server | 127.0.0.1 - - [14/Jul/2021:20:09:21 +0000] "GET /status.php HTTP/1.1" 200 1082 "-" "curl/7.68.0"
owncloud_server | 127.0.0.1 - - [14/Jul/2021:20:09:51 +0000] "GET /status.php HTTP/1.1" 200 1084 "-" "curl/7.68.0"

I’m assuming that the 200 after the GET statements above are the HTTP response code 200 OK, so the healthcheck seems to think that it’s up and running.

Any ideas what I can check to see where the problem is?

Hi,

can you send us your docker ps output?

it would also be good if you would try to start a standard oC installation first, with the default values, to figure out if that works. Then you can start modifying and customising. This would be my approach anyway.

1 Like

Hi Dmitry,

Here is the docker ps output. I’ll go and try the OC installation now

PS D:\docker\owncloud-docker-server> docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                          COMMAND                  CREATED        STATUS                  PORTS                                                                                                                             NAMES
d59864eb7b23   owncloud/server:10.7           "/usr/bin/entrypoint…"   23 hours ago   Up 23 hours (healthy)   8080/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8082->8082/tcp, :::8082->8082/tcp                                                                               owncloud_server
36bec2fce1b8   redis:6                        "docker-entrypoint.s…"   23 hours ago   Up 23 hours (healthy)   6379/tcp                                                                                                                          owncloud_redis
a3df89af1c17   mariadb:10.5                   "docker-entrypoint.s…"   23 hours ago   Up 23 hours (healthy)   3306/tcp                                                                                                                          owncloud_mariadb
48f373488fae   markusmcnugen/qbittorrentvpn   "/bin/bash /etc/open…"   2 months ago   Up 33 hours             0.0.0.0:8080->8080/tcp, :::8080->8080/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8999->8999/tcp, :::8999->8999/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8999->8999/udp, :::8999->8999/udp   intelligent_leakey
PS D:\docker\owncloud-docker-server>

Seems I’m getting exactly the same behaviour with the OC version. Perhaps because I’m trying to use a different TCP port (8082 rather than 8080)

yes, that’s what I meant with standard / default. Don’t change anything and start it up.

1 Like

Hi Dmitry, sorry for the delay in replying - I managed to get some time away from the desk (woohoo!)

So I’ve tried what you suggested. I stopped the other container that was using port 8080 and started OwnCloud on the standard port, with the .env and docker-compose.yaml files also updated to only point to port 8080, and it works.

Given that the healthcheck seemed to be showing it was up when on port 8082, my guess is that it’s something to do with the web server being hard-wired to be on port 8080.

Whilst I could in theory change my other container to use a different port, there a lot of other things that point to that container so it would be a fair bit of work to reconfigure them all. Is there anyway you can think of to overome the issue?

I’ve just tried to launch the other container that was on port 8080 on a different port (8081), and I get the same behaviour (localhost sent no data).

So it seems to be something to do with my docker or windows setup. I’m puzzled!

Well I learned something new today! I learned about host ports and container ports, and that they don’t need to be the same!

This was the cause of the problem I had. I was trying ton change both host AND contgainer ports to be something different!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.