[Noob] Files deleted from server when connecting device with older version of synced folder

Hello, community!

I’m new around here, happy to be a part of the community. :slight_smile:

I’m a bit of a noob with ownCloud, so forgive me if this is an easily-answered question. I read a good chunk of the documentation and couldn’t find an answer.

A few years ago, I was using oC to connect my two PCs to an employer’s server. One day, I booted up my laptop after having used my desktop for work for several weeks.

It turned out that when the oC client launched on the laptop and found an older version of the synced folder, instead of downloading the files I had been adding on my desktop over the preceding weeks, it deleted them from the server and reverted the server folder back to the state of the laptop’s folder.

I then stopped using oC, but now I want to start again for some of my private data. My web hosting company, Checkdomain, offers a one-click install for ownCloud, so that’s how I set up the server side. I also installed the client on my desktop already, running Linux Mint 20.

Hesitating to deploy it on my laptop, though, because I’m scared of this sync reversion happening again.

I’m wondering if this behaviour is as intended, or if it was a glitch? Is there a setting I overlooked in the web interface or client?

I have also been using Dropbox for many years, and it always made sure connected devices were in sync with the server, not the other way round.

Hello.

This happened to me too. I would say it was a glitch and not the normal behaviour.

Additionally - your files are not gone, they have just been moved to the trash bin on the server. You can simply restore them and then will get synced to your client.

The problem with this kind of accidents is that they lack the reproduction steps. If we could reproduce this then we could start looking for a cause of the issue and then a fix. I could not reproduce it after it happened to me.

I would say give it a try :slight_smile: ownCloud has improved immensely in the last years.

4 Likes

Hey Dmitry, thanks for your reply! I figured it was a glitch, and yeah, I discovered the deleted files in the trash bin, so it was all good. It did scare me enough though to uninstall the client.

My gut feeling is telling me the same thing - I’m absolutely ready to give oC another shot now that a few years have passed!

That said, I might end up using Nextcloud because it seems to have an upgrade process that only requires me to press a few buttons. Since my cloud is on shared web hosting, I can’t execute all those Linux commands that the oC upgrade tutorial talks about…

I can definitely say that our recommended upgrade method is a manual upgrade.

Don’t you have the possibility to ask the support of your hosted server to upgrade the server?

If upgrade on the WebUI via a few button clicks is important to you, you might think the decision to switch over one more time. I certainly don’t want you to make a decision that would make you unhappy down the road. ownCloud has a lot that speaks for it, a web Upgrade is not part of it.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s not a managed ownCloud installation. It’s just a normal web hosting plan with a 1-click installer for oC, and no further support. When I spoke to them on the phone yesterday, they did confirm that as a customer, I won’t be able to execute the necessary server commands. They didn’t specifically say whether they could do it for me, though.

For now, I’m testing out the oC on that web hosting, and a Nextcloud I manually installed on another webhost I’m with. I really like both apps. You guys are doing excellent work, and both feel like real quality products to me!

3 Likes

@mr.matt.eastwood Ask your provider if the can give you ssh access, there are many thinks you can do on the command-line that could help you to solve problems and reach your files (or at least check where they are) in situations like this. We can always help you. You can see some commands here: https://doc.owncloud.com/server/10.3/admin_manual/configuration/server/occ_command.html

1 Like