oC 8.2.2 - Very slow file download or PDF view - Same file: PDFview (3m47s), scp (17s)

Greetings. I’m seeing really slow read performance on oC 8.2.2. There is a 14MB PDF in oC. If I click on it within oC the read/download is VERY SLOW. If I scp the PDF file from the oC server to the same client system it is very fast.

14MB PDF file
oC PDFview: 3mins 47sec
scp: 17sec

I’ve monitored the oC server with top, iotop and vm monitoring tools and I cannot find any CPU, mem or disk i/o spikes or iowaits that would indicate a hardware or system issue. Same server transfers vis scp in 17 seconds so I know it’s not network. I’m really scratching my head as to the slowdown within oC.

Steps to reproduce

1. Login to oC as normal user.
  2. Go to folder with PDF file
  3. Click PDF file. Proggress bar in the browser (Chrome) creeps. Wait time is 3mins 47secs to view the file.

Expected behaviour

It should be at least somewhat closer in speed to the scp

Actual behaviour

File transfer of 3mins 47sec as opposed to 17secs for scp

Server configuration

CentOS 7.6-1810 3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64 (vm atop ESXi 6.5, 6c 2.4GHz Opteron)
Apache/CentOS httpd-2.4.6-88.el7.centos.x86_64
mariadb-5.5.60-1.el7_5.x86_64
php 5.5.38

ownCloud 8.2.2 - fresh install
Downloaded tarball from ownCloud - tarball install

Unable to bring up
http://my domain/index.php/settings/integrity/failed 

<?php $CONFIG = array ( 'instanceid' => 'omitted', 'passwordsalt' => 'omitted', 'secret' => 'omitted', 'trusted_domains' => array ( 0 => 'omitted', ), 'datadirectory' => '/home/omitted', 'overwrite.cli.url' => 'omitted', 'dbtype' => 'mysql', 'version' => '8.2.2.2', 'dbname' => 'owncloud', 'dbhost' => 'localhost', 'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_', 'dbuser' => 'omitted', 'dbpassword' => 'omitted', 'logtimezone' => 'UTC', 'installed' => true, 'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu', 'loglevel' => 1, );

Hey,

i’m not sure if its a good idea to start with such a heavily outdated ownCloud version on a fresh install.

Maybe you can try out the newest version 10.1.0?

1 Like