Occ system:cron PCNTL notice

I am running OC 10.3.0.4 and switched the cron job from cron.php to occ system:cron on a shared host.

The cron job is working fine but I get an email every 15 minutes (the job interval) which looks like this:

The process control (PCNTL) extensions are required in case you want to interrupt long running commands - see http://php.net/manual/en/book.pcntl.php

1 [->--------------------------]
2 [–>-------------------------]
3 [—>------------------------]
4 [---->-----------------------]
5 [----->----------------------]
6 [------>---------------------]
7 [------->--------------------]
8 [-------->-------------------]
9 [--------->------------------]
10 [---------->-----------------]
11 [----------->----------------]
12 [------------>---------------]
13 [------------->--------------]
14 [-------------->-------------]
15 [--------------->------------]
16 [---------------->-----------]

Unfortnately I can’t add the extension (shared host) and am not very familiar with using the command line. The cron job gets triggered by a cron job feature on the host’s admin page where I can set the path, command and interval.

I tried to add “–no-warnings” after the “system:cron” command but that got ignored.

Is there any chance to get rid of that PCNTL-notice?

Hey,

if i’m understanding the discussion in https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/36298 correctly an upcoming version of ownCloud should “silent” the output of system:cron by default. Maybe you can ask the developer working on this topic below if this also includes this “PCNTL notice”?

Hi Tom42,

thank you for the link to the github page. Next time I will also look there if a problem occurs.
It seems like the progress bar display has already been addressed but I will ask the developer about the “PCNTL notice”.

Hi,

on my Debian Buster the crontab line from the admin manual does not work at all. The new cron.php tries to execute ./occ, but the pwd of the cron job ist not the owncloud directory. My solution till the next release is the following crontab line:

*/15 * * * * cd /var/www/owncloud && /usr/bin/php -f /var/www/owncloud/cron.php >/dev/null 2>&1

The redirection at the end sends all messages to /dev/null and thus no spam is produced.

Regards Jochen

Not sure if the unnecessary output is in “stdout” or in “stderr”, if it is the first you could only redirect “stdout” to /dev/null. This would have the advantage that you would still get notified in case of an error.