Occ system:cron PCNTL notice

I am running OC 10.3.0.4 and switched the cron job from cron.php to occ system:cron on a shared host.

The cron job is working fine but I get an email every 15 minutes (the job interval) which looks like this:

The process control (PCNTL) extensions are required in case you want to interrupt long running commands - see http://php.net/manual/en/book.pcntl.php

1 [->--------------------------]
2 [–>-------------------------]
3 [—>------------------------]
4 [---->-----------------------]
5 [----->----------------------]
6 [------>---------------------]
7 [------->--------------------]
8 [-------->-------------------]
9 [--------->------------------]
10 [---------->-----------------]
11 [----------->----------------]
12 [------------>---------------]
13 [------------->--------------]
14 [-------------->-------------]
15 [--------------->------------]
16 [---------------->-----------]

Unfortnately I can’t add the extension (shared host) and am not very familiar with using the command line. The cron job gets triggered by a cron job feature on the host’s admin page where I can set the path, command and interval.

I tried to add “–no-warnings” after the “system:cron” command but that got ignored.

Is there any chance to get rid of that PCNTL-notice?

1 Like

Hey,

if i’m understanding the discussion in https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/36298 correctly an upcoming version of ownCloud should “silent” the output of system:cron by default. Maybe you can ask the developer working on this topic below if this also includes this “PCNTL notice”?

1 Like

Hi Tom42,

thank you for the link to the github page. Next time I will also look there if a problem occurs.
It seems like the progress bar display has already been addressed but I will ask the developer about the “PCNTL notice”.

2 Likes

Hi,

on my Debian Buster the crontab line from the admin manual does not work at all. The new cron.php tries to execute ./occ, but the pwd of the cron job ist not the owncloud directory. My solution till the next release is the following crontab line:

*/15 * * * * cd /var/www/owncloud && /usr/bin/php -f /var/www/owncloud/cron.php >/dev/null 2>&1

The redirection at the end sends all messages to /dev/null and thus no spam is produced.

Regards Jochen

1 Like

Not sure if the unnecessary output is in “stdout” or in “stderr”, if it is the first you could only redirect “stdout” to /dev/null. This would have the advantage that you would still get notified in case of an error.

1 Like