Old installation (upgrade or migration to latest release)

Hi community,

I have an old server (6.0.2.2) with some users on it, (10 users).

Of course i will not be able to update from 6.0.2.2 to the latest stable version 8.2.1.

Question:

is my best option to create a new server and move those users from scratch to it, or is there a way i could import the config and data from 6.0 to a new installation?

Regards

Hi,

currently you can't just move the installation from e.g. 6.0.2 to 8.2.7 on a new server as you can't skip major versions while upgrading. From your old 6.0.2 the following upgrade path is needed:

6.0.2 -> 6.0.9 -> 7.0.15 -> 8.0.14 -> 8.1.9 -> 8.2.7 -> 9.0.4 - > 9.1.0 (8.2.1 is not the latest stable)

As this is quite a large upgrade path where no one can guarantee that this will work it might be easier to completely start from scratch.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the quick response, this is what I though too. Just for the sake of it, are those major version still available? Briefly look for previous version of Owncloud, but only found latest update file. And the server is windows also...

There is a note about this in the official upgrading documentation:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.1/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html#previous-owncloud-releases

That will be the main problem. oC dropped support for windows in oC 8.0.x:

the last available version for windows is oC7 which unfortunately reached end-of-life some months ago:

A fresh start of owncloud 9.0.4 on a (virtual) Linux machine is probably the best way to go. There were never reliable migration scripts from Windows to Linux setups.