Online editing shared text files

Hello,

I installed OC via "softaculous" and created a user "admin" and several "users". File sharing works, so do desktop sync clients, sharing folders via links is allright as well, CalDAV and CardDAV are ok.

The text editor app is activated, I can online edit text files as a logged in user.
But when I now try to share either a link to the text file, or to the directory which contains the text file, an external user cannot online edit the text file; the "enable editing" box for shared directories is checked.

What can I do?

Cheers,
Wolf

Server configuration
Operating system: linux
Web server: apache
Database: mySQL
PHP version: 5.4.45
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 9.1
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: fresh
ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log, see https://central.owncloud.org/t/how-to-find-webserver-or-oc-logfile-enable-php-logfile/808):
This message appears every few seconds:

{"reqId":"V5mbqH8AAQEAAGKE3j0AAAAD","remoteAddr":"82.119.1.235","app":"PHP","message":"Module 'memcached' already loaded at Unknown#0","level":3,"time":"2016-07-28T05:44:08+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/","user":"--"}
{"reqId":"V5mbsn8AAQEAAHRRGb0AAAAh","remoteAddr":"82.119.1.235","app":"PHP","message":"Module 'memcached' already loaded at Unknown#0","level":3,"time":"2016-07-28T05:44:19+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/firstrunwizard\/wizard.php","user":"herrdeh"}
{"reqId":"V5mbsn8AAQEAAGK8MIIAAAA0","remoteAddr":"82.119.1.235","app":"PHP","message":"Module 'memcached' already loaded at Unknown#0","level":3,"time":"2016-07-28T05:44:19+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/ocs\/v2.php\/apps\/notifications\/api\/v1\/notifications?format=json","user":"herrdeh"}
{"reqId":"V5mbsn8AAQEAAGKSe94AAAAQ","remoteAddr":"82.119.1.235","app":"PHP","message":"Module 'memcached' already loaded at Unknown#0","level":3,"time":"2016-07-28T05:44:19+00:00","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/remote.php\/webdav\/","user":"herrdeh"}
{"reqId":"V5mbsn8AAQEAAGKaTPsAAAAV","remoteAddr":"82.119.1.235","app":"PHP","message":"Module 'memcached' already loaded at Unknown#0","level":3,"time":"2016-07-28T05:44:20+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/gallery\/config?extramediatypes=1","user":"herrdeh"}
{"reqId":"V5mcP38AAQEAAGLTSKoAAAAG","remoteAddr":"82.119.1.235","app":"PHP","message":"Module 'memcached' already loaded at Unknown#0","level":3,"time":"2016-07-28T05:46:40+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/","user":"--"}

Special configuration (external storage, external authentication, reverse proxy, server-side-encryption):
subdomain

Integrity status for oC9+

Login as admin user into your ownCloud and access
http://example.com/index.php/settings/integrity/failed
paste the results here.
No errors have been found.

Works as designed. An anonymous user is not supposed to use the text editor. If added to another ownCloud via federation it might be possible to edit. Same for Collabora Online, anonymous users will not be able to use it.

Thank you. That explains the behaviour. (-:

What is the use case for the behaviour you are looking for? Also thinking about another class of users which would be identified, but guests (aka they can not share), those could get the ability to edit.

My scenario is as follows:

My company has owncloud on its server, all my colleagues are "users" at OC and do have access to the files of a user called "company".

Now, we're having business partners, which are not "users" in our OC. We're providing access to certain files or directories, so they can upload their contributions directly into our owncloud, which is quite handy.
Would be even nicer, if they could immediately write into text files in their browsers - instead of having to download the file, edit it, and upload it again.

Did I get more understandable now?

Cheers,
Wolf

Yes. But you would love to know, which user has done the last change, or? We will take it into consideration for the guest type of users or would you really want it for an anonymous user and why?

Yes. Sounds great to have a sort of version history.
But for the first ste, I'd be glad just to have the possibility of adding text to a doc.

Thanks a lot,
Wolf

Hi there,
are there any news about this?

I am on OC 9.1.3, using Collabora online on my server, with the docker image.
It works quite well with registered users.

If i share a folder via link and enable editing, it'd be great, for guest users to be able to participate in editing *.odt documents!
:slight_smile: