ownCloud 2.18 for Android was released yesterday! And it came with a bunch of news that we’ll be explaining here!
The main focus of this version was put on the settings, which include several improvements:
Settings have been reorganized in different subsections to make them even clearer. We respected the previous categories inside the settings screen and transformed them into subsections, rearranging some of them. Note that the “Camera uploads” category has been split into two different subsections, “Auto upload pictures” and “Auto upload videos”.
Here you can see a comparison between the old settings screen (left) and the new one (right):
In the old version, to enable the “Logs” category you had to tap 5 times in the app version item, and after that, they couldn’t be disabled. Now, the new -and renamed- “Logging” subsection is always visible, and you can choose inside if you want to enable or disable logs! Also, by tapping the current app version item, you will have the app version number copied in your clipboard, good for developers .
From now on, the auto uploads for pictures and videos have DIFFERENT preferences for “Camera folder” (the local folder from which files are taken) and “Original file will be…” (the behaviour files follow after being uploaded). Previously, these options were shared for both pictures and videos, but now you can upload pictures and videos from different camera apps or folders.
Also, we have added a new preference: “Account to upload pictures”. Now, you can choose which account your photos and videos will be uploaded to, among those which have been registered in the app.
We have included a button in the login screen to get to the settings, even when no account is attached. Note that “Auto upload pictures” and “Auto upload videos” will be visible only if there is at least one account registered.
That simple blank background while playing music in the ownCloud app has been replaced with a cover art to make it look much more attractive. On the left you can see the old version and on the right, the new design:
Now, when you download an APK, the installation wizard is triggered, whereas in the previous version it wasn’t even downloaded.
- Sync option in the app bar is not shown anymore in the audio preview screen. That way, we align somehow the available actions in every preview screen.
- Error handling in passcode and pattern lock has been changed. Now, if you enter an incorrect passcode or pattern, a red text appears with the same message that was previously displayed in a Snackbar.
- Biometric lock preference is now hidden in those devices which don’t have biometric support hardware, instead of showing a message saying the option is unavailable.
Additionally, we have included some fixes reported by our users, thanks for reporting them! They are:
- Snackbar with the error message wasn’t displayed in passcode view when entering an incorrect passcode. That tiny change commented above led to a solution for this .
- Fix visible navbar in file preview screen when the device is rotated.
- Fix mandatory fields not retrieved from OIDC Discovery.
- Fix incorrect sync when a PDF was edited externally with Xodo.
- Fix permissions displayed in “Create public share” dialog when the device is rotated.
Read the whole Changelog in here
We really appreciate your feedback to improve the ownCloud Android app so if you find any bug or want to make any suggestion, please participate in one of these channels:
– Open a new issue on GitHub: https://github.com/owncloud/android/issues/
– Open a new topic on central: https://central.owncloud.org/
– Write to email@example.com