Owncloud 9.1 Ubuntu 16.04 Cronjob not working

Hey guys, I got an OwnCloud 9.1.1 running on an Ubuntu 16.04 dekstop.
But I have some problems with cronjobs.

At the "Personal"-settings tab I activated email notifications for the administrator user, whenever a given activity happens like someone creates a new folder.
But I'm afraid I get no mails when somebody does those things.

At "Administrator > Email-Server" I configured everything correctly (I guess), as the test mail works properly.

If I continue then to look at the cron settings and set it on "Cron" as it is default, I get a notification like (transalted) "Last cron job execution: X hours ago. There's probably an error."
I thought, that's the problem, but when set the thing on "AJAX", everything I refresh the page it says someting like (translated) "Last cron job execution: Just now."

As I'm no Linux expert, I have no idea where to look next for the error.

have you singleuser-mode activated?

can you look at your shell (SSH) and tell us if there's an entry like (by typing: crontab -u www-data -l):

*/15 * * * * php -f /var/www/html/owncloud/cron.php

I have plenty of users in use, so I guess I have not?

The command gives me a "no crontab for www-data".
Don't know if it's important, but may be: I have no "/var/www/html/owncoud/cron.php", for me it's "/var/www/owncloud/cron.php"

go to your config.php and check if you have an entry like this enabled:

'singleuser' => true,

(Edited above answer.)

No, there's no such entry as 'singleuser' in my config.php

Well, thats your issue. Please follow the documentation at the following link as just setting the background job to "cron" won't automatically/magically configure them for you.

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_server/background_jobs_configuration.html#cron

to create a cronjob:

crontab -u www-data -e

and enter this (check if path is correct first!):

*/15 * * * * php -f /var/www/html/owncloud/cron.php

afterwards activate the cronjob for owncloud:

cd /var/www/html/owncloud && sudo -u www-data php occ background:cron

and yes, the documentation isnt that bad at all, just give it a try :wink:

Okay, I entered the commands above but with my correct path yesterday, but when I looked at it today, the cloud still says: "Cron: Last cron job execution: 16 hours ago."
Did I forget anything?

Hi,

yes, the following:

Nah, as I said, I entered the commands with my correct paths, so I didnt entered them for /var/www/html/owncloud/... but for /var/www/owncloud/...

Also our cloud had some frozes since I tried the cron thing, deleting the new line from the crontab file solved that problem.

Logfiles (see FAQ category) and basic linux knowledge might help to debug this.

Okay so should I just copy'n'paste the logfile in here? (As new users aren't allowed to upload files.)

or use something like pastebin to upload and link it down here.

Okay, uloaded the logfile here, as it is too big for pastebin and stuff.

hmmmm... im not sure about it, but what i can see is:

{"reqId":"BlrR791+OqYQwf\/va8p0","remoteAddr":"78.94.54.180","app":"cron","message":"We are in maintenance mode, skipping cron","level":0,"time":"2016-10-25T11:44:22+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/cron.php","user":"CloudAdmin"}

are you still on maintenance or singleuser-mode?

Okay, so now I deactivated maintenance mode, and it looks good at first sight.
It says "Cron: Last cron job execution: Just now."
But I'm still getting no emails for the activity notifications.
Sending a test email works, so email server should be configured correctly.

Hi,

please create a new thread about this issue (we shouldn't mix the cron issue with notification issues here) for the reasons explained here: