summer is already here and we are pretty glad to release a new version of the ownCloud Android app, pay attention to the new bunch of features.
Which features does 2.8.0 include?
Our old side menu bar made our app look like not finished, so we have decided to redesign it and include several brandable images such as the background in the top header and a new one below two new options, Feedback and Help.
Besides, a new user quota option has been added at the bottom of the side menu, letting us know how much space (used and available) we do have.
Several users complained about the similarities between the download and available offline icons so we rethought this icons and create new ones, along with new pins for downloaded, sync and available offline files and folders.
With previous versions of the app, we were able to sort the list of files alphabetically, by size and creation date but make this sort descending was not possible till now. Have a look at our new sort submenu.
One of the most completed and useful features we have is the sharing and we want to talk a bit about some improvements made in the view to share folders publicly.
In previous versions of the app, we had two different options when creating a new public link to share a folder, Allow editing and Show file listing. The meaning of the option “Allow editing” (Download/Upload/Rename/Delete/Move) essentially changes to “Allow upload” (Upload only) when the second option “Show file listing” is unchecked and this was inconsistent and confusing for users, so we have redesign these options according to 10.0.4 web UI.
Another interesting feature regarding authentication is OAuth, which support was included a couple of versions ago. Since we take seriously the security of our app, we have applied some changes to improve trust and security in OAuth authentication process, such as replacing the embedded web view, that could be hackable, with Chrome custom tabs, more reliable.
The ownCloud Android app can be used not only on Android smartphones but on Android tablets. There’s many users using the app in bigger screens and giving us feedback about their experience. The previous landscape design in tablets consisted of two different panels, the list of files on the left and the preview mode on the right, which is out of trend and was triggering some problems when reading longer file-names. That’s why we have got rid of the two panels and keep just one in landscape mode in tablets.
Same as we did with the latest releases, we have updated our What’s new wizard with the features included in 2.8.0 so this is what users upgrading from 2.7.0 or 2.8.0 beta to 2.8.0 will see.
And last but no the least, many improvements and bug fixing:
- Fab button above snackbar (contribution by @sd1998)
- Toggle to control password visibility when sharing via link (contribution by @harshitbansal05)
- Adaptive icons support (Android 8 required)
- Fix block for deleted basic/oauth accounts
- Fix available offline when renaming files
- Fix camera directory not selectable in root
- Fix guest account showing an empty file list
- Hide keyboard when going back from select user view (contribution by @harshitbansal05)
- Fix black “downloading screen” message when downloading an image offline
- Show proper timestamp in uploads/downloads notification (contribution by @mueller-ma)
- Fix sharing when disabling files versioning app in server (contribution by @karakayasemi)
How can I download the new ownCloud Android app?
2.8.0 is already available on Google Play Store, so download and enjoy it!
The workaround app for Jelly Bean has been also updated in Google Play Store, for those that still need it:
How can I send my feedback to ownCloud developers?
We really appreciate your feedback to improve the ownCloud Android app so if you find any bug or want to make any suggestion, please participate in one of these channels:
– Open a new issue on Github: https://github.com/owncloud/android/issues/
– Open a new topic on central: https://central.owncloud.org/
– Write to email@example.com