ownCloud Filesystem

Hello,

I'm a new user for ownCloud and I work on it in my graduation project..
I have a question about the file system type which ownCloud used. I installed ownCloud server on Ubuntu 14.04 which use ext4 as a file system. Does ownCloud use the same file system type of Ubuntu ? or it has a specific type?

Also, I have another question about the read-write file to memory functions . In which folder and files can I find their code?

I really appreciate your help

Hi,

ownCloud is just a web application written in PHP so it just uses the filesystem on which the host operating system is running on.

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

Well i have to intervent on this point because of a really bad experience happened to me a few months ago.

From my POV i highly recommend to use Ubuntu 16.x + php7 and a filesystem with either EXT4(journalling, small block sizes) or BTRFS.

Why BTRFS? -> it doesnt have the problems like EXT3/4 with missing INODES when people put shitloads of small files upon your system and its way easier to increment its partition- and systemsize (LVM).

Why am I saying this? Well, it happened way to often to me that customers/friends/clients have the synchronization for hidden-files and/or all-file-types activated (*.ini, *.dat, *.cmd etc) which bloats the INODES-"library" to its limitations, and then the webserver or mysql wont even start anymore...

for short:

• use Ubuntu 16.x
  • use PHP 7
  • use either EXT4 with smaller Blocks or BTRFS Fileystem

Trust me, it will save you so much time afterwards :wink:

Hope nobody disagrees, because it would make me a disgrace to my family :grin: