Owncloud newbie Raspberry Pi install problems

I am wanting to set up my “own cloud” so I can store files that will be synched between several computers on different networks. I saw a post on the Resilio Sync blog dated 3-15-18 (https://www.resilio.com/blog/how-i-created-my-own-personal-cloud-using-bittorrent-sync-owncloud-and-raspberry-pi) and thought that would be the answer. The instructions were based on Raspbian “jessie”, and the commands installed versions of Apache2, PHP, SQlite and OwnCloud.

However…my Pi 3 Model B is running Debian 10.7 Buster, and when I log into the Pi (192.xxx.xxx.xx/owncloud), I get the following screen:

<?php /** * @author Jörn Friedrich Dreyer * @author Lukas Reschke * @author Morris Jobke * @author Philipp Schaffrath * @author RealRancor * @author Robin Appelman * @author Sergio Bertolín * @author Thomas Müller * @author Vincent Petry * * @copyright Copyright (c) 2018, ownCloud GmbH * @license AGPL-3.0 * * This code is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, * as published by the Free Software Foundation. * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the * GNU Affero General Public License for more details. * * You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, * along with this program. If not, see * */ // Show warning if a PHP version below 7.2.0 is used, this has to happen here // because base.php will already use 7.2 syntax. if (\version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '7.2.0') === -1) { echo 'This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 7.2.0
'; echo 'You are currently running PHP ' . PHP_VERSION . '. Please update your PHP version.'; return; } // Show warning if PHP 7.5 or later is used as ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.5 if (\version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '7.5.0alpha1') !== -1) { echo 'This version of ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.5
'; echo 'You are currently running PHP ' . PHP_VERSION . '.'; return; } // running oC on Windows is unsupported since 8.1, this has to happen here because // is seems that the autoloader on Windows fails later and just throws an exception. if (\stripos(PHP_OS, 'WIN') === 0) { echo 'ownCloud Server does not support Microsoft Windows.'; return; } try { require_once __DIR__ . '/lib/base.php'; OC::handleRequest(); } catch (\OC\ServiceUnavailableException $ex) { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, ['app' => 'index']); //show the user a detailed error page OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } catch (\OC\HintException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage(), $ex->getHint()); } catch (\OC\User\LoginException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_FORBIDDEN); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage()); } catch (\OCP\Files\ForbiddenException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_FORBIDDEN); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage()); } catch (\Throwable $ex) { try { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, ['app' => 'index']); //show the user a detailed error page OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } catch (\Throwable $ex2) { // with some env issues, it can happen that the logger couldn't log properly, // so print out the exception directly // NOTE: If we've reached this point, something has gone really wrong because // we couldn't even get the logger, so don't rely on ownCloud here. \header("{$_SERVER['SERVER_PROTOCOL']} 599 Broken"); \OC::crashLog($ex); \OC::crashLog($ex2); } } The version of owncloud that was downloaded was owncloud-complete-20201216.tar.bz2, and the PHP is version 7.2 I am so new to all of this that I don't know where to go next. The installation instructions from the blog I referenced and other posts say that when I enter my local address/owncloud, I should be taken to the OwnCloud admin login page, but instead the page above shows up. I'd appreciate any help...do I need to uninstall (commands, if possible) packages, install new ones (which versions to be all compatible with each other?) and how do I make them all work with each other? Thanks very much

This three year old blog post that you followed is using a 4 year old script to download and install owncloud. This script is trying to install PHP 5 (!!!), which has long been deprecated. So most likely the script already failed to install the packages. And even if it was successful installing PHP 5, ownCloud no longer supports it.

Perhaps somebody else in the forum here can recommend a more up to date guide to install ownCloud on a RaspberryPi.
Unfortunately I don’t have one, I’d love to test whether the official ownCloud ansible roles also work on a RPi…

1 Like

I really hope so because it seems someone ought to know what versions of Apache, PHP and OwnCloud work together on a Raspberry PI, and if SQlite will even work at all, or if another DB needs to be installed.

SQLite is not recommended, just set up mariadb. Generally you can just follow a standard guide for the distribution you have. If you follow the official docs for Ubuntu, you might just have to adjust some package names.

You can usually find packages on Debian based distributions with the command apt-cache search. I’d recommend to familiarize yourself with the package manager of your distribution.

1 Like

i am also getting

• author Lukas Reschke * author Morris Jobke * author Philipp Schaffrath * author RealRancor * author Robin Appelman * author Sergio Bertolín * author Thomas Müller * author Vincent Petry * * copyright Copyright (c) 2018, ownCloud GmbH * ;icense AGPL-3.0 * * This code is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, * as published by the Free Software Foundation. * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the * GNU Affero General Public License for more details. * * You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, * along with this program. If not, see * */ // Show warning if a PHP version below 7.2.0 is used, this has to happen here // because base.php will already use 7.2 syntax. if (\version_compare(PHP_VERSION, ‘7.2.0’) === -1) { echo 'This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 7.2.0
    '; echo 'You are currently running PHP ’ . PHP_VERSION . ‘. Please update your PHP version.’; return; } // Show warning if PHP 7.5 or later is used as ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.5 if (\version_compare(PHP_VERSION, ‘7.5.0alpha1’) !== -1) { echo 'This version of ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.5
    '; echo 'You are currently running PHP ’ . PHP_VERSION . ‘.’; return; } // running oC on Windows is unsupported since 8.1, this has to happen here because // is seems that the autoloader on Windows fails later and just throws an exception. if (\stripos(PHP_OS, ‘WIN’) === 0) { echo ‘ownCloud Server does not support Microsoft Windows.’; return; } try { require_once DIR . ‘/lib/base.php’; OC::handleRequest(); } catch (\OC\ServiceUnavailableException $ex) { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, [‘app’ => ‘index’]); //show the user a detailed error page OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } catch (\OC\HintException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage(), $ex->getHint()); } catch (\OC\User\LoginException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_FORBIDDEN); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage()); } catch (\OCP\Files\ForbiddenException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_FORBIDDEN); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage()); } catch (\Throwable $ex) { try { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, [‘app’ => ‘index’]); //show the user a detailed error page OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } catch (\Throwable $ex2) { // with some env issues, it can happen that the logger couldn’t log properly, // so print out the exception directly // NOTE: If we’ve reached this point, something has gone really wrong because // we couldn’t even get the logger, so don’t rely on ownCloud here. \header("{$_SERVER[‘SERVER_PROTOCOL’]} 599 Broken"); \OC::crashLog($ex); \OC::crashLog($ex2); } }

but I have installed using
S sudo apt-get install php7.3 php7.3-gd sqlite php7.3-sqlite php7.3-curl still the same

What am I missing. Why are you not using a clean image of RPi and installing dependency for current OC install? They should work with some configuration or try the appliance VM image.

1 Like