OwnCloud on Zyxel NSA 325 V2

Hello,

I have a Zyxel NSA325 V2 , i tried to install OWNCLOUD from the package manager inside the control panel, the installation was successfully completed, but when i tried to access it from an IOS device, it said that the version is too old ( owncloud 7 ) and the minimum supported is 10. I have downloaded the server zip file from the owncloud’s website, uploaded it via FTP inside the NAS but it requires at least PHP7.2 to run properly. Unfortunately my version’s stuck at PHP5.2 cause i didnt find any trick to upgrade it manually or automatic.
Is there a way to upgrade the PHP or use owncloud old version ? I’m using owncloud just inside my home for LAN connection, i don’t plan to access it remote/public

Thank you in advance !

Best regards.

Hey,

i think you have two options:

1. somehow find a way to update this outdated PHP 5.2 (it seems PHP 5.2 is already end of life since 10 years: https://www.php.net/eol.php) and to install a recent ownCloud version like 10.6.0
  2. somehow find an older ownCloud client still supporting ownCloud 7. But it seems this will be also no easy task and you would also install an ownCloud version which seems to be also already end of life since nearly 5 years: https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Maintenance-and-Release-Schedule)

Personally i think this NAS isn’t an adequate platform for running ownCloud. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Hello @tom42,

I believe there must be a trick to edit the server files to make the client think that the ownCloud7 is an actually ownCloud 10 without needing to upgrade something.
As I said , NAS and ownCloud are only accessible via local host , so there are no security risks cause I won’t hack my own ownCloud .

Thank You.

Hey,

i don’t think that this is about a security risk but rather a protection by the ownCloud people to avoid incompatibilities with newer client versions and older server versions which could e.g. cause data loss or other problems.

Personally i would never trust my data to a 5 year old end of life software as there is i think always a chance of bugs, data loss and other problems. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Thank you for reply @tom42

Indeed, Data is very important, that’s why i recently bought this NAS, to include old photos , videos, basically memories that i want to preserve as much as possible. I can upload via FTP to be honest in a photo or video folder and use VLC to cast/see the media on NAS. But having a cloud like dropbox, icloud , sounds more interesting and flexible
If there’s anyone that knows a way to upgrade PHP from 5 to 7 to have the latest owncloud software available that would be amazing, until then i’ll have to stay with Icloud for a while :slight_smile:

It’s not only for me, but there are lots of old zyxel nas’s users that have experienced the same issue as mine, maybe there’s a fix for us too !

Thank you !

1 Like

Unfortunately this isn’t really something ownCloud can fix, this is something Zyxel has to fix. Perhaps they have some support forum where people with access to the hardware have already figured out how to do what you need to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.