Owncloud.org & documentation: broken references regarding upgrades from old versions

(Note: I found no better category for a feedback/question on the owncloud dot org webpage itself. I hope that this is ok.)

Dear community,
I could not find a way to report on two broken links on owncloud dot org. Can you point me to the right place? Thanks!

Here are the details, if any webadmin sees this post by chance:

Observation:
The links on page [1] https://owncloud.org/download/older-versions/ to the Linux packages for Owncloud Server 8.2.x and 9.0.x lead (with a redirect) to non-functional pages:
[2] https://attic.owncloud.org/download/repositories/8.2/owncloud
[3] as [2], but with 9.0 in the url (No link, as I can only post 2 links as new user)
For the older versions (8.1.x and earlier), the links to Opensuse are working. For the newer versions (9.1.x and later), the links redirect correctly to pages very similar to [2] and [3], but with a trailing slash. If you add a trailing slash by hand to the URLs, also the pages for 8.2 and 9.0 work.

Solution:
Please add a trailing slash to the links on [1] leading to [2] and [3] to make them work / redirect correctly.

Importance:
Without finding these pages, people cannot follow the iterative upgrade from older versions, see Admin Manual --> Maintenance --> Upgrading --> Upgrading from Package --> Upgrading Across Skipped Releases (sorry, no link, as I can only post 2 links as new user).

Kind regards,
Nök

Thanks to making us aware of this.

I reported this to our admin and will report back when we have a solution.

1 Like

Additional, related problems further down the road: For 8.2.x on Ubuntu 14.04, the respective packages referenced on https://attic.owncloud.org/download/repositories/8.2/owncloud/ seem not to be available any more. (For 8.1.x on the Opensuse server, the packages for Ubuntu 14.04 were still available, although the release key was expired .) – I know, Ubuntu 14.04 is outdated, but that’s why I try to migrate away from it step by step … :wink:

Ubuntu 14.04 was outdated for a long long time though.

What would speak against a clean setup on a new OS and latest ownCloud?

1 Like

Hello Dimitri, thanks for your reply.

First of all: You are absolutely right. I don’t have a serious problem here. If the upgrading fails, I will do the clean setup as you suggested. Also, I’m not under time pressure. It is rather the challenge to upgrade my old setup to a current one while keeping my data and configuration. Everything is relaxed. I don’t try to get help here.

Rather consider my “playing around” a test of the instructions given in the documentation for this kind of upgrade [4]. ; I try suggesting improvements to the documentation and the owncloud.org site based on the problems I stumbled upon.

To summarize what I already reported in previous posts, to make my intention more clear:

• (original post) the missing slashes at the end of the links [2] and [3] on page [1]. Here, I just suggest repairing the links by simply adding these slashes.
  • (last post) the package for 8.2.x on Ubuntu 14.04 referenced here [5] that is no longer available. Here, I suggest
    • to either remove the references from [5] (and from the sites of other versions offering removed packages) (my preferred suggetion, but that would require housekeeping after each package removal.)
    • or to amend a general statement to the sites [4] and [1] for the sake of completeness, e.g.: “Note: Packages for outdated operating system distributions might be no longer available, despite still being referenced. In that case, please resort to a manual upgrade.” (This has the advantage that it excuses all broken links/references for outdated and removed packages.)

I will also update the title of this thread to make that more clear.

Meanwhile, I discovered an additional problem with the update. However, that is rather package related and not documentation related, and I will describe it in a separate post. (Package for oc 8.2.x on Ubuntu 16.04: Keys expired and wrong dependencies).

Kind regards,
Nök

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to go over the instructions and writing down here what you have found.

I move this to server category, since it’s server related.

Hey,

if there are problems with the repositories i think it should be reported to: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues

Similar if there are problems with the documentation this could be reported to: https://github.com/owncloud/docs/issues

I think this makes sure that it get noticed by the ownCloud team, as this forums is AFAIK mostly user based it could get lost too easily. :confused:

Thanks @tom42 for these links.

• For the problems with the repositories/packages, I will definitely submit them at core/issues, not here in the forum.
  • For the problems related to the actual documentation [4], docs/issues is surely a good place; however, could you please confirm that this is also true for improvements for the download pages [1,2,3,5]? They are not strictly “documentation”, but rather parts of the website.
    Thanks!
1 Like

Hey,

unfortunately i can’t confirm as i don’t have any knowledge/insight how the ownCloud team is working on the download pages.

In the past i had reported such issues here but it took quite a long time until it got noticed by the ownCloud team and currently it is also not fully fixed. :confused:

I pinged our admins and created an issue in the right repo. There should be progress now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Noek
thanks for the notices. I updated the page, added the missing slashes and added the notice text about outdated packages. Thanks for your detailed explanations!

Thx @dmitry and @tom42 for your help.

Best
Flo

1 Like

When the time permits it I will also add redirect rules to the server.

1 Like