ownCloud Updater UI fails, crashes and kills ownCloud

I attempted to run the updater from the web UI. Unfortunately I did not have zip/unzip installed on Ubuntu, which crashed the updater. From here on the web interface is broken, prompting me to run occ upgrade, but occ upgrade fails with the following message:

An unhandled exception has been thrown:

Exception: Environment not properly prepared. in /var/www/html/lib/private/Console/Application.php:135

Stack trace:

#0 /var/www/html/console.php(105): OC\Console\Application->loadCommands(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))

#1 /var/www/html/occ(11): require_once('/var/www/html/c...')

How can I roll back to the checkpoint the updater created?

Steps to reproduce

1. run updater from web UI
  2. ensure zip/unzip is not installed on the server

Expected behaviour

complete update without error

Actual behaviour

see error above

Server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04

Web server: Apache2

Database: Mysql 5.7

PHP version: 7.2

ownCloud version: 10.0.0.4 to 10.1.0

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: updating from old

Where did you install ownCloud from: owncloud.org

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):

cannot run occ config:list system, same error as above

You shouldn’t use this, it’s not the recommended way. Please see the docs.

1 Like

In most recent updates this error occurred when the php module php-intl was not installed. If this is the reason in your case too, just install this module.

If updating still is not working we would need more details from the owncloud.log

Edit: Did owncloud complain, that PHP module zip not installed? Then you would have to install the php-zip module.

In any case, compare your setup with the requirements at https://doc.owncloud.org/server/admin_manual/installation/manual_installation.html#php-extensions

1 Like