Owncloud with MySQL binlog format STATEMENT and update

Hello,

I am currently using owncloud server (version 10.0.0) on shared host solution (gandi.net). After checking a way to manage binlog format, i received this morning an email from the support that advise me that it is impossible to change binlog format. The current variable is STATEMENT.

It is impossible to update owncloud due to an error message :
An exception occured whiel executing 'INSERT INTO' oc_users' ('uid', 'password') VALUES(?,?)' with params [something something]: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General Error: 1665 Cannot execute statement: impossible to write to binary log since BINLOG_FORMAT = STATEMENT and at least one table uses a storage engine limited to row-based logging. InnoDB is limited to row-logging when transaction isolation level is READ COMMITTED or READ UNCOMMITTED.

Do you know a work around to keep my owncloud updated ?

Mysql version 5.6.

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

GM

I did the following search:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/search.html?q=BINLOG_FORMAT

and found the following describing the possibilities you have to continue with the update:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration/database/linux_database_configuration.html?highlight=binlog_format#mysql-mariadb-with-binary-logging-enabled

Hi tom,

Thank you for reply.

According to the content of your link, there are two solutions. One is to disable binary logging. The other is to change the BINLOG_FORMAT.

I have no possibility to manage MySQL (my.cnf file...) in share hosted solution. So, the second solution is not possible for me due technical limitations.

For the first one, I am not sure to understand... for me "to disable binary logging" requires the possibility to manage MySQL global parameters, like the second solution ? Or is it a parameter to be change in owncloud configuration ?

Than you.

have a nice day.

Regards.

GM

I think for both solutions you need to have access / permissions to manage the MySQL service.

That limits the possibilities I have to continue updating owncloud on the shared - server I am using...

Regards,

GM

Just looking for a way to modify php owncloud package in order to remove binlog format. May be by deleting/remeving a part, I can complete the installation.

Regards,

GM

From what i understand (when reading the docs correctly) this is not only required for the update but also for the normal / continues operation of ownCloud.

Yep!

The only solution I found is to use NextCloud 13 instead of OwnCloud: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/13/admin_manual/configuration_database/linux_database_configuration.html

A great thanks Tom for your reply.

Regards,

GM

From what i have read in the past there are plans for the future to require shell / administrative access to the hosting system where ownCloud running. So you probably had to do the choice to either switch to a different product or to a system where you have more permissions anyway.

Personally i would have chosen the second option as my experience from the last one year i'm using ownCloud is that it is always better to have full access to the base system. Shared hosters are often too limited and i think ownCloud is a way too advanced software for such restricted environments.