Password Protected Folders

• Yes
  • No

0voters

This is a followed discussion based on feature request #9530 on Github https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/9530

I would second MatthieuPERIN's requirement below which I believe shall give us more flexible control over OC.

/projetcA -> shared among all participant using group / user permission
/projetcA/work -> shared among all participant using group / user permission
/projecta/team -> shared among all participant using group / user permission
/projectA/admin -> protected folder with password for administrator of project
/projetcA/admin/finacial -> protected by the upper folder

The features:

Admin of the shared folder should be able to protect the access of a (sub)folder using a password using web interface (minimal feature)
Admin of the shared folder should be able to protect the access of a (sub)folder using a password directly using the local desktop agent (improvement feature)
This is clearly a way to produce a more accurate access control for sub folder inside a shared folder.

I would prefer an option to set specific permissions on subdirectories of a current share. Either you are authorized to see it or not. Extra passwords are very annoying.

2 Likes

I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have a owncloud for my company and one for private. When I'm in my office, I want to be able to edit both folders, but no staff. Employees should be able to edit the folder "Company", "Private" should be password protected. How can I protect the folder "Private"? Does anyone have a little guide?

Right now you do need to generate a seperate folder "private" and share that with the needed rights. Password protection is possible for public links at this time - which can then be federated by your users.

The overrall discussion was about "Project Rooms" which shall be a new view on folders with the ability to break inheritance, which we don't allow currently.