PHP 7.4 end of life

Hello everyone,

if I’m not wrong, the current ownCloud server requires PHP 7.4 to run.
The fact is that this specific PHP version is already outdated and will be completely unsupported by the end of 2022.
Is it planned to be compatible to PHP 8.0 or 8.1 ?
I couldn’t find any news related to this topic.
Thanks.

5 Likes

In addition to that, the new Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is announced to being released today. It only ships PHP 8.1.

I guess we’ll have several posts here regarding broken ownCloud instances …

Hey guys,

thanks for bringing this up, we are working on a 22.04 Installation guide and on the php 8.0 or 8.1 issue.

Best Regards
Dmitry

4 Likes

Hey !
Noice I hope to see it soon :slight_smile:
Good luck !

2 Likes

Is there an ETA for PHP8.1? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?

3 Likes

Heads up about RHEL clones. I’m currently beta-testing AlmaLinux 9 (which is of course 1:1 with RHEL) and php is at 8.0.13-1

So, after almost two weeks, are there any news? The first issues are coming in, see Php version not compatible

The official recommendation at this point is to use 3rd party sources for php 7.4 if you’re on ubuntu 22.04. Additionally php 8 support is not expected in the short-term for ownCloud Server.

Why u linking my post :thinking:

Because your post was predicted in

Hello,

it’s really a bad advise to use third party sources : /
Should we move the discussion to github ?
When is the EOL of “ownCloud PHP” ? ocis as far as I know is still a technical preview, will it be released before PHP 7.4 is outdated ?
We’re talking about possible unfixed security issues with PHP 7.4 by the end of 2022, it’s not a matter of having a fancy PHP 8.0/8.1.
Thanks.

EDIT: I unset the solution as the questions above need an answer to plan where we, as oC users, are going. Thanks.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.