PHP modules missing: zip, xml*, mb multibyte etc

Steps to reproduce

Fresh owncloud install on ubuntu 18.04

Expected behaviour

Connecting to the web server for the first time I expected to see the initial setup page

Actual behaviour

List of missing PHP modules including zip, dom, xmlWriter, xmlReader, mb multibyte, curl, intl etc.

Server configuration

Operating system:
Ubuntu 18.04

Web server:
Apache2

PHP version:

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:
Fresh install

Resolution

Was surprised how little information there was around to fix these issues. Particularly for mb multibyte.
the following steps will resolve these:

apt install php-zip
apt install php-xm # Includes dom and several others
apt install php-intl
apt install curl php-curl
apt install php-mbstring

systemctl reload apache2

Reload the browser web page and you should get the initial setup page.

Please see our docs - you should find anything you need to know - https://doc.owncloud.com/server/10.0/admin_manual/installation/manual_installation.html

1 Like

Side note…

Itd be highly desired to have all necesery modules bundled.

Hey,

i don’t think that it is a good idea that every application like ownCloud should bundle the necessary PHP modules on their own (if this is even possible, i don’t know any PHP application doing this).

Instead i think every administrator should read and understand the prerequisites of the application they are using and to install all necessary PHP modules from the uses linux package manager. This should make sure that no conflicts are happening with the bundled PHP modules of the operating system and that the modules are kept up to date and secure with the updates provided by the operating system via its package manager.

2 Likes