Php-problems / simple upgrade or installation possible?

hosting

Hi guys,

I’m VERY new to owncloud and also have limited programming skills, so please bear with me here… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have used owncloud in professional contexts and think its great! I now wanted to use it as a private cloud and organizing tool. For this reason I had to upgrade MANUALLY from OwnCloud 7 (which my web-host provides for free) to OwnCloud 10 and now get the following error:

“This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 5.6.0. You are currently running PHP 5.4.45-kon. Please update your PHP version.”

I have no idea how to change this and also think - since my capabilities here are limited - that there must be an easier way of installing OwnCloud, no? I’ve checked the options at https://doc.owncloud.org/server/10.0/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html but this is still - at least for me - very advanced stuff. Is there no Installer or Updater that one can use?

Yorrs for the newbie questions - I hope you can help!

Unless it’s your own host I think you’re out of luck. I don’t think a web hoster would allow you to change or update the php version they’ve set (I might be wrong)

If it’s a fresh install on your own server, I’d recommend to use a recent version of your favorite linux distribution. I expect it to come with a recent php version suitable to run ownCloud. Otherwise, check how you can upgrade your php version.

Other options are to use a VM or run a docker container. These alternatives are easier as long as you know the tools. I can’t recommend them if you aren’t familiar with them.

Hi Jvillafanez and thanks so much for the constructive feedback! I am not hosting so my initial hunch that I’m outta luck is hereby confirmed. Thanks also for the alternatives, will check it out!

Maybe you can still contact your hoster and ask if its possible to provide a newer PHP version on your hosting plan or to upgrade your plan to another one where a more recent PHP version is provided?