Problems installing owncloud-client in Ubuntu 22.04

Expected behaviour

Owncloud client installs

Actual behaviour

Missing dependency errors, seg faults

First I tried installing owncloud-client from the Ubuntu repositories. Installation seemed to complete, but when I ran owncloudcmd only three of the directories on the server were synced, and the one I really need was not. Also, when I tried running the gui version of the client, is crashed with a seg fault.
I read somewhere in these forums that I should not use the Ubuntu repository; I should use the owncloud packages. So, I removed owncloud-client and tried this (both the manual method and the INSTALL.sh). Both methods give this error:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 ocqt5152-libqt5core5a : Depends: libicu72 (>= 72.1~rc-1~) but it is not installable
                         Depends: libzstd1 (>= 1.5.2) but 1.4.8+dfsg-3build1 is to be installed
 owncloud-client : Conflicts: libowncloudsync0 but 4.2.0+oc-11670 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I don’t know what to do. I had the owncloud client running fine on the old computer this one replaced (Ubuntu 20.04) and my personal machine, running Gentoo. I would greatly appreciate some help.

The answer is right there:

Find the held packages and release the hold before attempting to install again.

1 Like

Hey,

could it be possible that you are trying to install the owncloud-client package from the too new 23.04 repository instead of the correct 22.04?

https://download.owncloud.com/desktop/ownCloud/stable/latest/linux/download/

I think this could be the case because the posted error message includes libicu72 (>= 72.1~rc-1~) as a dependent of ocqt5152-libqt5core5a but from what i can see the 22.04 package only depends on libicu70 (>= 70.1-1~).

1 Like

Yes, the problem is the entry in the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/owncloud.list delete it, and run the proper version of the repo command.

echo 'deb https://download.owncloud.com/desktop/ownCloud/stable/latest/linux/Ubuntu_22.10/ /' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/owncloud.list

I recommend changing the doc to remove the -a in the tee command (to overwrite)

1 Like

Hey,

for this suggestion i think it would need to be required to let the ownCloud people to know that over the following below because i think that the chances are high that they will notice it here

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.