[Q] Media Viewer: Enable thumbnails, but show original photo when enlarged?

Hi, I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m scouring the web to find a selfhosted photo storage option, and among the top candidates are owncloud and nextcloud, which are pretty similar as far as I can tell.
I currently have a nextcloud instance set up, but my problem with it is the hard choice between

• enable preview generation for thumbnails, but then the user sees a photo that is not the original (but an image of arbitrary dimensions and arbitrary jpeg quality), OR;
  • disable preview generation, so the user sees the original photo, but now there are no thumbnails anywhere in the system.

In my setup there is a nice little script that compresses original images down to <1MB and keeps perceived quality intact. I am not starving for bandwidth, so displaying these 1MB pictures makes more sense to me than displaying a preview that is of worse quality than my original image, and likely at least comparable in size to the original.
I was hoping to find some details about whether or not this same issue exists with owncloud? But I can’t find much documentation available on preview generation and how the images are displayed.
Best regards

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.