RESOLVED: Need help fixing a failed update from 10.2.1.4 to 10.3.2.2

Steps to reproduce

1. Log into owncloud’s Web interface
  2. Click on the upgrade button
  3. See the error message

Expected behaviour

I was upgrading from ownCloud 10.2.1.4 to current version using the updater. I would have expected the upgrader to conclude successfully and give me access to the Web interface for the latest version 10.3.2.2

Actual behaviour

The upgrader exited with an error message:

== begin error message ==

Updating to 10.3.2
OC\RepairException: Upgrade is not possible

Repair warning: You have incompatible or missing apps enabled that could not be found or updated via the marketplace.
Repair warning: Please install or update the following apps manually or disable them with: occ app:disable ownbackup
Repair warning: For manually updating, see doc.owncloud. org/ server/ 10.3/ go.php?to=admin-marketplace-apps

Detailed logs:
Preparing update
Set log level to debug
Turned on maintenance mode
Repair warning: You have incompatible or missing apps enabled that could not be found or updated via the marketplace.
Repair warning: Please install or update the following apps manually or disable them with: occ app:disable ownbackup
Repair warning: For manually updating, see doc.owncloud.org/ server/ 10.3/ go.php?to=admin-marketplace-apps
OC\RepairException: Upgrade is not possible

The update was unsuccessful. Please report this issue to the ownCloud community.

== end error message ==

Server configuration

Operating system:
PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”
ID=debian

Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 (jessie)
Release: 8.11
Codename: jessie

Web server:
Apache

Database:
Server type: MySQL
Server version: 5.5.60-0+deb7u1-log - (Debian)
Protocol version: 10

PHP version:
php7.2

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)
10.2.1.4 in the process of upgrading to 10.3.2.2

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:
10.2.1.4 in the process of upgrading to 10.3.2.2

Where did you install ownCloud from:
downloaded from owncloud.org

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):
??

Login as admin user into your ownCloud and access
http://example.com/index.php/settings/integrity/failed
paste the results into https://gist.github.com/ and puth the link here.

Cannot login to admin user in my owncloud to access the resource since owncloud is displaying only the error message or the upgrade button option 

The content of config/config.php:

‘admin’ -> ‘Generate Config Report’ -> ‘Download ownCloud config report’
This report includes the config.php settings, the list of activated apps
and other details in a well sanitized form.

Cannot log into the web-UI

or

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ config:list system
from within your ownCloud installation folder

Don't have access to the sudo command with my privileges on the webhosting command line.
Executing the command without sudo to the www-data user results in an error as the wrong PHP version is being used.

ATTENTION: Do not post your config.php file in public as is. Please use one of the above
methods whenever possible. Both, the generated reports from the web-ui and from occ config:list
consistently remove sensitive data. You still may want to review the report before sending.
If done manually then it is critical for your own privacy to dilligently
remove all host names, passwords, usernames, salts and other credentials before posting.
You should assume that attackers find such information and will use them against your systems.

List of activated apps:

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ app:list
from within your ownCloud installation folder.

Don't have access to the sudo command with my privileges on the webhosting command line.
Executing the occ command without sudo to the www-data user results in an error as the wrong PHP version is being used in this virtual host environment.

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: local/smb/sftp/…
no

Are you using encryption: yes/no
yes

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: LDAP/ActiveDirectory/Webdav/…
no

Client configuration

Browser:
Safari

Operating system:
macOS Catalina

Logs

Web server error log

don't have access to the Webserver log

ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log)

All of the 18+ MB of log file? You must be kidding. What about sensitive user-identifying data? Cannot possibly go through huge file to get rid of it all.

Browser log

It's not a browser issue. 

Hey,

it looks to me that the following message should provide all needed information on how to continue with your update or am i wrong?

Hey @tom42,

one would think so. But I have only access to a limited shell in this virtual hosting environment. There is no sudo command. And without it I cannot sudo to the www-data user to execute the occ command. And with the wrong user credentials the wrong php version gets used, old, deprecated, no idea why they keep that shit. php 4.4.9. So execution of occ command fails.

In this case you can

• backup the ownbackup directory in the apps folder
  • delete the the complete folder ownbackup
  • restart the upgrade
  • restore the ownbackup folder
  • ownCloud will probably show an upgrade button again (now this refers to the app)

Now your ownCloud should be running.

It might be possible, that the updater complains about some other apps, look for the line

Repair warning: Please install or update the following apps manually or disable them with: occ app:disable <app name>

then the ownCloud upgrade must be performed with those apps removed.

1 Like

Thank you, @cortho!

moved the ownbackup dir outside of the owncloud installation (one level higher than owncloud install dir).

Tried update. Same error. Where else is that information about that app contained? Can it be fixed with a simple text-editor? or a delete? copy and paste?

You can also disable an app in the database by setting configvalue to no in the row where appid = ownbackup and configkey = enabled.

! Be careful !

2 Likes

@eneubauer Thanks. Will try that.

@eneubauer thank you Erik.

That worked like a charm! I’m back in the user interface and can do stuff! :slight_smile:

Thank you :pray: very much. You’re my hero! :+1:

1 Like