Run ownCloud app from a remote login

Hello,

I was wondering how to (if it is possible at all) run the ownCloud app via a remote ssh login. I typically leave my remote machine logged on and the application just works fine in the background, but sometimes I need to reboot from the remote. However, after reboot and remote login, if I run owncloud from the terminal I get an error.

[user@archlinux ~]$ owncloud

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

try ssh -X, this will run the GUI on yuor local computer.

1 Like

You are trying to run a graphical application in a terminal session. What display are you expecting the application to use?

You can forward the output over ssh to your local display as @funkytwig described if you only need the ownCloud client to run while your ssh session is active.

If you want the ownCloud client to continue after you disconnect, you will need to launch it from a graphical session that will remain running.

There is also an owncloudcmd CLI app.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. Tried with -X option but din’t work:

pain@pains-iMac ~ % ssh -X madara@IP

madara@IP's password:

X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0

Last login: Tue May 30 12:19:43 2023 from some IP
[madara@archlinux ~]$ owncloud

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

Thank you for the reply. Please see, my reply to @funkytwig. I’d like to only login via ssh into my remote machine (using -X is fine if it worked), perform a sync and then close the application. The problem is that I’m not able to start the application from the remote command line. Running

owncloud ---user me --password mypass

gives the error message I posted in the reply to @funkytwig answer.

It appears that you need to resolve some Qt issues between your two hosts. The owncloudcmd CLI app seems like it does exactly what you want and won’t require you to identify and repair the inconsistencies in your Qt setup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.