Running the installation wizard

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu server 16.04 and followed these instructions: https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#ubuntu-installation-label

From Install the Required Packages On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server
And then the instructions under Install ownCloud

I am at the step: Run the Installation Wizard

So no problem there the page opens and I can fill the fields.

When I click "Finish setup" I get an Access Denied error

Am I missing something?

I'm not sure what exactly I am supposed to input in here.
Seems like this page is for creating a DB admin.

But under "Configure the database" Am I creating a DB or connecting to an existing one?

I did not see any instructions telling me I needed to create a DB.

Thank you

How did you configure your database? Did you use"create a DB"? or did you use it on a separate host?
Which user should be used for database access?
It can be that there is an issue, because mariadb/ mysql has improved their security and and root is only allowed to be used for localhost.

We need some more information about your setup....

I just followed the instructions. There are no step for creating/configuring a DB in your instructions. So I presumed that it gets created from the installation wizard page.

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#ubuntu-installation-label

You can find it under installation wizard.

Where? That page tells me to input an admin username and password and then Click “Finish Setup”. Exactly what I did. It does not tell me to create or configure a DB. It does not even say we need or not need to create one before.

Point your web browser to http://localhost/owncloud
Enter your desired administrator’s username and password.
Click “Finish Setup”.

Does this part doesn't describe the database part for MySQL/MariaDB?

MYSQL/MariaDB

MariaDB is the ownCloud recommended database. It may be used with either ownCloud Server or ownCloud Enterprise editions. To install the recommended MySQL/MariaDB database, use the following command:

sudo apt-get install mariadb-server

If you have an administrator login that has permissions to create and modify databases, you may choose “Storage & Database”. Then, enter your database administrator username and password, and the name you want for your ownCloud database. Alternatively, you can use these steps to create a temporary database administrator account.

sudo mysql --user=root mysql
CREATE USER 'dbadmin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'Apassword';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON . TO 'dbadmin'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION;
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
exit

For more detailed information, see MySQL/MariaDB.

You can choose your database. But all is described in our installation instruction. You can choose another database, too.

Thanks I'll try this.

Just to be clear.

What would be the official steps when starting from scratch?

What I think are the steps:
1. Install Ubuntu 16.04 server
2. Install the required and recommended modules
3. Install ownCloud
4. Configure Apache Web Server
5. Do additional Apache Configurations
6. Enable SSL
* 7. Create a MariaDB Database ? (is that it?)
8. Run the Installation Wizard
9. Set Strong Directory Permissions

I am having trouble when I try this line after creating the dbadmin user.

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON . TO 'dbadmin'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION;

It says "You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'TO 'dbadmin'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION' at line 1"

I was able to manage to make it work by doing some MySql googling.

I created the dbadmin user like so: CREATE USER 'dbadmin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '123456';
then I created a DB: CREATE DATABASE owncloud;
then I exited mysql
then I gave dbadmin access to the DB: mysql -h localhost -u dbadmin -p owncloud
then I input these credentials in the web Installation Wizard and created a user named ocadmin

And this time it worked.