Seeding a server with a removable drive

I’d like to copy my local data to a removable drive, bring the drive to the data centre, and seed the server directly to avoid having to sync a terabyte of data over my home connection.

I’ve tried this before however OC basically ignored the existing data and starting resyncing, I assume because of a problem with timestamps. How do I go about seeding a server and preventing this?

Hmm, sorry to be so unhelpful, but nothing really comes to mind, other than trying to create an ownCloud installation in your local network, which you then migrate to the datacenter. This means you will have to transfer the database of that installation as well.

However if you have already an existing installation in the datacenter, I don’t really see a way at the moment.
Perhaps it would be an interesting feature request to have an option, that checks the local data checksums with the existing in the db and then creates the correct timestamps (? not sure that would be the correct/best process ?). Then you could just run a filescan to add the data to the server and the client would double check it’s right.

Thanks for the reply. Creating one locally is an interesting idea, but I don’t think I have enough room for a dupe of my data, and it isn’t a single folder so I can’t seed a whole install from it. I think. Must mull that over.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.