Sync.ffs_lock keeps actualising and sending notifications every minute

Expected behaviour

Nothing, the ownCloud Client should be quietly in the background since no files are being changed.

Actual behaviour

Since today, I get a notification every minute that tells me “syncronisation activity - sync.ffs_lock has been updated” (it is originally in German, so my translation may not exactly match the notification that would be issued in English). This is very annoying, but I don’t want to turn off the notifications completely, because I’d still like to know when an actual file is being changed.

Steps to reproduce

not applicable, I didn’t do anything with ownCloud in the last few days.

Server configuration

No information available to me

Client configuration

Client version: 2.6.1 (build 12992)

Operating system: Windows 10 on Lenovo Yoga 720-15IKB

OS language: German

Installation path of client: C:\Program Files (x86)\ownCloud

Logs

Not available (Log folder empty)

Looks like a software “FreeFileSync” is running on your PC, and it uses a file “sync.ffs_db”. (found in https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=synchronization-settings) If this file gets updated constantly from “FreeFileSync”, and is located in your ownCloud sync folder, changes in this file will be constantly uploaded. (works as designed). To prevent this, you can exclude syncing this file in the settings.

1 Like

I never heard about this software and most definitely didn’t install it on my system… Especially not in the last few days. But thanks for the reply, I’ll have a look for it.

The notifications suddenly stopped a few minutes ago (without me doing anything), just as mysteriously as they started. I found the file you mentioned in the change log of my ownCloud sync folder and it was created today, then lasted for about an hour with updates every minute, before it was deleted again (alledgedly by me). I know that this file had never been in this folder before.
In the meantime, I was using Word, Endnote, Spotify and Firefox, without changing anything related to ownCloud, data syncronisation or even data on my computer in general, except from one word document saved elsewhere…

Was this file located in a shared folder? Synced to another machine? Maybe the change happened on the remote machine?

1 Like

Yes, it was in a shared folder, but the log said I deleted it.