There is a new ownCloud App for viewing images and videos

You like to watch your videos and images in ownCloud? This will now become even more convenient - with the new Media Viewer app!

More details here:

2 Likes

Hello,

cool news ! I can’t wait to test it if it improves the performance, I’ll try to make some benchmarks ASAP.
Thanks for the work.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m back after some tests but they are not thorough since I didn’t try with some videos where maybe the new app shines better than gallery. So my use case was this apollo11 set of pictures that I uploaded on an ownCloud test instance (btw really cool pictures !). The test was simply to browse pictures from gallery or from files_mediaviewer and check the load time, there it was 6 pictures. I deleted my cache for both test.

• with gallery

Average load: (391+476+317+348+343+444)/6 => ~386.5ms

• with files_mediaviewer

Average load: (210+216+196+222+237+235)/6 => ~219.33ms

So good job to the dev, it looks quite better ! Please keep in my mind it’s not a scientific test it would require more pictures and testing the same pictures in both case (it seems the average size of my gallery test is a bit bigger, sorry about that but gallery and files_mediaviewer don’t order the picture the same way).

Anyway I do have one question, I kept the gallery app, I shared a picture with a public link and it was already with correct URL pattern for files_mediaviewer to work: https://xxx/index.php/s/td8cL65o7fbltj3, how is this possible ? I use NGinx by the way and once I disabled gallery in favor of files_mediaviewer the link worked directly.

Last question but I think it’d better in a thread. Once you disable gallery and install files_mediaviewer, the app is shown as uninstalled with occ but the configuration stays in the database.

# occ app:list
Enabled:
  - activity: 2.5.0
  - brute_force_protection: 1.0.1
  - calendar: 1.6.2
  - comments: 0.3.0
  - configreport: 0.2.0
  - contacts: 1.5.5
  - dav: 0.4.0
  - encryption: 1.3.1
  - federatedfilesharing: 0.4.0
  - federation: 0.1.0
  - files: 1.5.2
  - files_external: 0.7.1
  - files_external_dropbox: 1.1.0
  - files_external_ftp: 0.2.1
  - files_mediaviewer: 1.0.0
  - files_pdfviewer: 0.11.0
  - files_sharing: 0.11.0
  - files_trashbin: 0.9.1
  - files_versions: 1.3.0
  - files_videoplayer: 0.10.1
  - guests: 0.8.1
  - notifications: 0.5.0
  - provisioning_api: 0.5.0
  - systemtags: 0.3.0
  - tasks: 0.9.7
  - updatenotification: 0.2.1
  - user_ldap: 0.13.0
Disabled:
  - external
  - market
  - user_external
mysql> select * from oc_appconfig where appid like 'gallery';
+---------+-------------------+-------------+
| appid   | configkey         | configvalue |
| gallery | enabled           | yes         |
| gallery | installed_version | 16.1.1      |
| gallery | signed            | true        |
| gallery | types             |             |
4 rows in set (0.01 sec)

How would you clean that UP ? I’ll update soon a few instances to replace gallery I’d like to have my databases cleaned.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi cs35,

tanks for your little benchmark. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::+1: … I’m glad the app works for you.

concerning your question about having gallery and mediaviewer active at the same time.
Wich ever app loads first is determined by the loading order and winning the loading-race :wink:

I suggest using either one or the other as they get in each other’s way.

1 Like

@DeepDiver1975 do you have an idea why the database isn’t cleaned up after disabling Gallery?

Hi @felixheidecke,

NP you’re welcome !

Thanks for the clarification, I don’t think it would be a good idea anyway to have both apps together since gallery is getting obsolete. Though I hope the overview wall will be brought to files_mediaviewer soon, it was really a nice feature to see all the pictures at once :slight_smile:

1 Like

@lefherz Fyi: We already discussed this at How to fully remove an app

2 Likes