There is a new ownCloud App for viewing images and videos

You like to watch your videos and images in ownCloud? This will now become even more convenient - with the new Media Viewer app!

More details here:

2 Likes

Hello,

cool news ! I can’t wait to test it if it improves the performance, I’ll try to make some benchmarks ASAP.
Thanks for the work.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m back after some tests but they are not thorough since I didn’t try with some videos where maybe the new app shines better than gallery. So my use case was this apollo11 set of pictures that I uploaded on an ownCloud test instance (btw really cool pictures !). The test was simply to browse pictures from gallery or from files_mediaviewer and check the load time, there it was 6 pictures. I deleted my cache for both test.

• with gallery

Average load: (391+476+317+348+343+444)/6 => ~386.5ms

• with files_mediaviewer

Average load: (210+216+196+222+237+235)/6 => ~219.33ms

So good job to the dev, it looks quite better ! Please keep in my mind it’s not a scientific test it would require more pictures and testing the same pictures in both case (it seems the average size of my gallery test is a bit bigger, sorry about that but gallery and files_mediaviewer don’t order the picture the same way).

Anyway I do have one question, I kept the gallery app, I shared a picture with a public link and it was already with correct URL pattern for files_mediaviewer to work: https://xxx/index.php/s/td8cL65o7fbltj3, how is this possible ? I use NGinx by the way and once I disabled gallery in favor of files_mediaviewer the link worked directly.

Last question but I think it’d better in a thread. Once you disable gallery and install files_mediaviewer, the app is shown as uninstalled with occ but the configuration stays in the database.

# occ app:list
Enabled:
  - activity: 2.5.0
  - brute_force_protection: 1.0.1
  - calendar: 1.6.2
  - comments: 0.3.0
  - configreport: 0.2.0
  - contacts: 1.5.5
  - dav: 0.4.0
  - encryption: 1.3.1
  - federatedfilesharing: 0.4.0
  - federation: 0.1.0
  - files: 1.5.2
  - files_external: 0.7.1
  - files_external_dropbox: 1.1.0
  - files_external_ftp: 0.2.1
  - files_mediaviewer: 1.0.0
  - files_pdfviewer: 0.11.0
  - files_sharing: 0.11.0
  - files_trashbin: 0.9.1
  - files_versions: 1.3.0
  - files_videoplayer: 0.10.1
  - guests: 0.8.1
  - notifications: 0.5.0
  - provisioning_api: 0.5.0
  - systemtags: 0.3.0
  - tasks: 0.9.7
  - updatenotification: 0.2.1
  - user_ldap: 0.13.0
Disabled:
  - external
  - market
  - user_external
mysql> select * from oc_appconfig where appid like 'gallery';
+---------+-------------------+-------------+
| appid   | configkey         | configvalue |
| gallery | enabled           | yes         |
| gallery | installed_version | 16.1.1      |
| gallery | signed            | true        |
| gallery | types             |             |
4 rows in set (0.01 sec)

How would you clean that UP ? I’ll update soon a few instances to replace gallery I’d like to have my databases cleaned.

Thanks.

2 Likes