Ubuntu Upgrade - Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS to 16.04.1 LTS

I am contemplating upgrading from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS. What are the main issues/problems with doing so? Any prerequisites that I should get setup first? Any known problems that I will likely run into?

I haven't been able to find much here on the subject so thought I would ask.

Thank you! -jared

Operating system: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Web server: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.19
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 9.1.0
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: Updated

Special configuration (external storage, external authentication, reverse proxy, server-side-encryption): 1 external storage drive attached.

Hi,

its hard to give an answer here without the info how you did the installation (repository or manual install).

The initial installation, which was done several versions ago, was done through a repository install.

And I believe I meet all of the system requirements listed here:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.1/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

Then you might be able to change the oC repository from 14.04 to 16.04 and install the owncloud-deps-php7.0 package after the upgrade.

I am confident that I can install the Ubuntu update without any problem. I'm just concerned about maintaining my owncloud installation. Does Owncloud running on 16.04 require the owncloud-deps-php7.0 package instead of the owncloud-deps-php5 package?

I assume this is because 16.04 uses php7?

Yes, Ubuntu 16.04 has PHP7. That shouldn't be a problem as the current oC 8.2.x, 9.0.x and 9.1.0 are compatible with PHP7.

FWIW: I have been unable to upgrade my 14.04 installation and preserv my owncloud installation. The problem has been upgrading php to 5.6. It just doesn't seem possible on 14.04. Getting owncloud to recognize the php upgrade has been uncussesful. I've determined I'm going to have to start fresh with a 16.04 installation and owncloud migration to the new server.

+1 here.
After upgrading to 16.04 I lost the owncloud installation. At least I tried this on a backup image. Maybe starting fresh is a better idea.

Iā€™m also currently thinking of upgradeing my server OS to a newer version. Right before the update process starts, I am informed that owncloud is going to be uninstalled during the release upgrade.
Why is it uninstalled? Can I also keep it during the Ubuntu release upgrade (from 16.04 LTS to 18.xx LTS)?

Does anyone know details here?

I do not recommend upgrading that way. It is better to start with a clean installation of whatever operating system you are moving to, setting up a new instance of owncloud and then restoring your old database, data, etc. onto the new installation. I would recommend going straight to 18.04.

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you for this great information. Is it possible to migrate from older oC (9.0.2) to the most recent via this method? Or do you have to upgrade your existing oC installation to the latest version before migrating to a new Linux version?

I recommend upgrading OC to the latest version then migrating to a new server with the same version.

1 Like