Unable to open or create local sync database

I recently upgraded my server from 8.0 to 8.1 (I’m moving slowly towards a more current release, but I just finally moved the server to RHEL 7). In the process, I found that the client on my Mac was not syncing. It was not taking my username and password event though I had no problems accessing the code through the web interface.

Expected behaviour

I upgraded the MacOS client from version 1.7 to 2.4 by downloading and running the latest installer.
I expected to resume normal syncing, possibly after re-entering my credentials.

Actual behaviour

I got a series of error messages stating “Unable to open or create local sync database”
I checked $HOME/owncloud/.csync_journal.db (and other .files) and they all have mode 644 and are owned by me. The owncloud folder has mode 755.

Do I need to do some kind of upgrade on the local database?

Steps to reproduce

Server configuration

Operating system: RHEL 7

Web server: Apache 2.4

Database: MariaDB

PHP version: 5.4

ownCloud version: 8.1.12

Storage backend (external storage):

Client configuration

Client version: 2.4.2

Operating system: MacOS X 10.12.6

OS language:EN

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog):

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only):

Installation path of client: $Home/Application/ownCloud

Logs

Please use Gist (https://gist.github.com/) or a similar code paster for longer
logs.

Template for output < 10 lines

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt
    (On Windows using cmd.exe, you might need to first cd into the ownCloud directory)
    (See also http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/2.2/troubleshooting.html#client-logfile )

2018-8-3 2:46:01 PM, , ownCloud,Unable to open or create the local sync database. Make sure you have write access in the sync folder.
2018-8-3 2:25:03 PM, , ownCloud,Unable to open or create the local sync database. Make sure you have write access in the sync folder.
2018-8-3 2:24:18 PM, , ownCloud,Unable to open or create the local sync database. Make sure you have write access in the sync folder.
2018-8-3 2:23:22 PM, , ownCloud,Unable to open or create the local sync database. Make sure you have write access in the sync folder.
2018-8-3 2:23:03 PM, , ownCloud,Unable to open or create the local sync database. Make sure you have write access in the sync folder.
2018-8-3 2:22:50 PM, , ownCloud,Unable to open or create the local sync database. Make sure you have write access in the sync folder.

1. Web server error log:

2. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log):

Easier than I thought. Turns out rebooting the system fixed the problem. Must have been a frozen lock on the file.

2 Likes

alternative to restarting machine (worked for me):

• quit ownCloud
  • show hidden files in ownCloud directory
  • move all hidden fles (databases, logs etc.) to desktop or other folder location
  • move files back to ownCloud directory
  • restart ownCloud
1 Like

This solved my issue today on my Windows server 2019… what I don’t understand is why it happens randomly after a few months… it works fine for a long time and then this happens… it never works for a long time without having these sort of issues.