Unexpected issue with Redis after package updates

So I was running some package updates for security on my ubuntu server. This owncloud installation has been running great with all checks showing passed in the admin section. After I ran the updates I got the 'white screen of death'. I can't get around it. Here is the latest log entries in /data/owncloud.log

Also owncloud is version 9.2.4.2

{"reqId":"VSyPlKQ1xMi1Ax05ytmj","remoteAddr":"10.2.0.1","app":"index","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"RedisException\",\"Message\":\"Failed to AUTH connection\"$
{"reqId":"VSyPlKQ1xMi1Ax05ytmj","remoteAddr":"10.2.0.1","app":"core","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"RedisException\",\"Message\":\"Failed to AUTH connection\",$
{"reqId":"VSyPlKQ1xMi1Ax05ytmj","remoteAddr":"10.2.0.1","app":"core","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"RedisException\",\"Message\":\"Failed to AUTH connection\",$
{"reqId":"KVlleAEvNqd3iCqEL3ar","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.238","app":"remote","message":"Failed to AUTH connection","level":4,"time":"2017-03-21T00:05:47+00:00","method":"G$
{"reqId":"gGgv9HMmzy5BIHl7TR35","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.246","app":"remote","message":"Failed to AUTH connection","level":4,"time":"2017-03-21T00:05:51+00:00","method":"G$
{"reqId":"JHNEluWxyPeaYU8K2KVG","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.236","app":"remote","message":"Failed to AUTH connection","level":4,"time":"2017-03-21T00:05:54+00:00","method":"G$
{"reqId":"\/5LxD3oJNsoeeQR5giOS","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.238","app":"remote","message":"Failed to AUTH connection","level":4,"time":"2017-03-21T00:06:19+00:00","method":"$
{"reqId":"vwLVvS5+nGA+oMYXnCGv","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.246","app":"remote","message":"Failed to AUTH connection","level":4,"time":"2017-03-21T00:06:23+00:00","method":"G$
{"reqId":"ZuRuP2vK6s17vVVpiilP","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.236","app":"remote","message":"Failed to AUTH connection","level":4,"time":"2017-03-21T00:06:27+00:00","method":"G$

Try disabling Redis integration in config.php and testing this separately. Redis can be configured with authentication, so you will need to check that this has been set up correctly and that the details in config.php are also correct.

@terry_tibbles

I tried disabling file locking in the config file but it had no change. This is the screen I'm getting which tells me that nothing is wrong with my apache setup.

Here is a more detailed log entry that I believe is the culprit. Every check that I've googled to make sure Redis is running has come back good.

Edited to show full line on log entry
{"reqId":"a\/ZwpWY5YL0ykyIX0Wq5","remoteAddr":"10.0.0.246","app":"core","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"RedisException\",\"Message\":\"Failed to AUTH connection\",\"Code\":0,\"Trace\":\"#0 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/Memcache\\/Redis.php(51): Redis->get('3633a1cbb538d9e...')\n#1 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/Route\\/CachingRouter.php(55): OC\\Memcache\\Redis->get('www.cagcloud.co...')\n#2 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/URLGenerator.php(67): OC\\Route\\CachingRouter->generate('js_config', Array)\n#3 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/TemplateLayout.php(142): OC\\URLGenerator->linkToRoute('js_config', Array)\n#4 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/legacy\\/template.php(229): OC\\TemplateLayout->_construct('error', '')\n#5 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/Template\\/Base.php(129): OCTemplate->fetchPage()\n#6 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/legacy\\/template.php(361): OC\\Template\\Base->printPage()\n#7 \\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/index.php(73): OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage(Object(RedisException))\n#8 {main}\",\"File\":\"\\/var\\/www\\/owncloud\\/lib\\/private\\/Memcache\\/Redis.php\",\"Line\":51}","level":3,"time":"2017-03-22T23:06:55+00:00","method":"GET","url":"\/","user":"--"}

Instead of disabling redis configure it to listen on a socket (see your favorite search engine how to do this) and then point the config.php to this socket like shown in the second example at [1].

[1] https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_files/files_locking_transactional.html

I changed the config for owncloud and redis to a socket connection. I agree that its better this way but the behavior is still the exact same with the same error logs.

There is no authentication via sockets besides the permissions on the socket file itself. If you're struggling with configuring redis you might want to ask for some help at the redis support https://redis.io/support

From ownCloud side the shown config.php examples in the documentation are known to work on every system out there without showing such issues. So maybe you also just did something wrong by configuring the socket in your config.php?

It might also help to completely clean the data/owncloud.log to only get the relevant logentries after the configuration of redis.

BTW I was able to get this resolved by going though the same redis guide that I originally used to install owncloud. I'm not sure what was broken but that fixed it. Thanks for the help everyone.