Update to 9.0.4 failed

Hey guys,

I am an absolute beginner with OC so please excuse my not existing knowlege of the topic. I am mostly a User concerned with the security of his clients data.

I installed OC 9.0.2 using a service of our German Web host ALL-inkl.de.
I am using it to sync contacts and calendars between our company's devices.
Today I wanted to upgrade to a later Version 9.0.4 using The Online updater.

Unfortunately the procedure stopped half way telling me an error "updating apps: unscepecified" or something like that. The procedure stopped and now when I try to reach my OC it gives me the following error:

Warning: fopen(/www/htdocs/xxxxxxx/xxxxxxx.com/config/config.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /www/htdocs/xxxxx/xxxxx. com/lib/private/config.php on line 187

Warning: flock() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /www/htdocs/xxxxx/xxxxx.com/lib/private/config.php on line 197

Fatal error: Call to a member function getLogger() on a non-object in /www/htdocs/xxxxxx/xxxxxxx.com/lib/public/util.php on line 166

Any ideas how to resolve the issue and what went wrong?

Thanks for your help
Tonelli86

Hi,

ownCloud 9.0.4 is outdated. Please update manually to 9.0.6 instead (see doc.owncloud.org).

The log entries itself are causing by wrong permissions. The update is done by a user which don't have permissions to read the config/config.php

Thanks for the info.

We only have one Administrator User so the permissions are there. I have installed updates with this account before and it worked.

I will try The manual update.
Cheers
Tonelli

Hi,

the permissions i'm referring to are the permissions on the filesystem itself. Most likely this here is the problem:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/update.html#setting-permissions-for-updating

As I can see it there, the current stable release is 9.1. Should I upgrade straight to this version?

Hi,

its always recommended to go to the latest available minor version (in this case to 9.0.6) before doing the upgrade to the next major version (9.1.2).

New major versions bring new features - and sometimes new bugs. For a productive system, I wouldn't upgrade to the first release (9.1.0) without testing. After some minor releases it gets more and more stable. 9.1.2 looks quite good already:

Don't forget to backup before.