Upgrade 7.0 to 8.0 on shared host: permissions problem

I've got a shared host (no access via ssh) with a 7.0.1 owncloud.
I want to (step by step, major releases) upgrade to owncloud 8.2 because this version supports PHP7 which I want to activate after the upgrades.

I can only use "ftp" and thus can neither see nor set the owner and group of files and folders.

I've already sent a request to the hoster to ask for owner and group settings for new files and folders on the shared host and wait for an answer.

My upgrade process was as follows:

I've...

• made a backup of the whole remote "cloud" folder (the "root" of owncloud data) to a local backup folder
  • made a backup of the MySQL DB via phpmyAdmin
  • downloaded and unpacked owncloud 8.0.16 locally
  • renamed the previous "cloud" folder to "cloud_v7" on the shared host
  • uploaded the new owncloud version to a new folder "cloud"
  • uploaded the backups of "data" and "config" folders

I'm got errors about the "apps", "config" and "data" folders when accessing owncloud now via web interface.
Thus I've checked the permissions of the old remote "cloud_v7" folders which is as follows:

"apps": 755
folders in "apps": 755
files in "apps": 644

"config": 755
files in "config": 644

"data": 750
folders in "data": 755
files in "data": 644

I've set the same permissions recursively for the "new" folders.

The errors when now accessing the owncloud via web interface are:

Cannot write into "apps" directory
This can usually be fixed by giving the webserver write access to the apps directory or 
disabling the appstore in the config file.

Data directory (/www/htdocs/v100266/cloud/data) not writable by ownCloud
Permissions can usually be fixed by giving the webserver write access to the root directory.

This FAQ article didn't help me.

What can I do about those issues?

Update:
The hoster fixed the issue somehow. As soon as they tell me what was the problem I'll post it as an answer here.

So this is what the hoster wrote:

In the folder "cloud" are data that have been created by a PHP script. 
Files and folders that are created get the owner who created them. 
Thus, if a PHP script creates a file, the this file gets the owner of the webserver "www-data".

To solve the permissions issue I can use a configuration web interface to change the ownership.

It seems strange to me that the owner "www-data" is an issue for owncloud, and that I can fix this by setting ownership to the ftp user. I expected it rather to be other way round...

It seems strange to me that the owner "www-data" is an issue for owncloud, and that I can fix this by setting ownership to the ftp user. I expected it rather to be other way round...

That completely depends on the permission setup of your hoster. oC is just using native PHP methods for permission checks like this, so this is an issue of PHP itself then.