I've got a shared host (no access via ssh) with a 7.0.1 owncloud.
I want to (step by step, major releases) upgrade to owncloud 8.2 because this version supports PHP7 which I want to activate after the upgrades.
I can only use "ftp" and thus can neither see nor set the owner and group of files and folders.
I've already sent a request to the hoster to ask for owner and group settings for new files and folders on the shared host and wait for an answer.
My upgrade process was as follows:
- made a backup of the whole remote "cloud" folder (the "root" of owncloud data) to a local backup folder
- made a backup of the MySQL DB via phpmyAdmin
- downloaded and unpacked owncloud 8.0.16 locally
- renamed the previous "cloud" folder to "cloud_v7" on the shared host
- uploaded the new owncloud version to a new folder "cloud"
- uploaded the backups of "data" and "config" folders
I'm got errors about the "apps", "config" and "data" folders when accessing owncloud now via web interface.
Thus I've checked the permissions of the old remote "cloud_v7" folders which is as follows:
folders in "apps": 755
files in "apps": 644
files in "config": 644
folders in "data": 755
files in "data": 644
I've set the same permissions recursively for the "new" folders.
The errors when now accessing the owncloud via web interface are:
Cannot write into "apps" directory This can usually be fixed by giving the webserver write access to the apps directory or disabling the appstore in the config file. Data directory (/www/htdocs/v100266/cloud/data) not writable by ownCloud Permissions can usually be fixed by giving the webserver write access to the root directory.
This FAQ article didn't help me.
What can I do about those issues?
The hoster fixed the issue somehow. As soon as they tell me what was the problem I'll post it as an answer here.