Upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0 results in major problems

I was using owncloud 8.2.10 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS without problems. And ofc i use the contacts app.
My plan was to migrate to 10.0.4, i read official readme, wich r meaning that it would be possible to upgrade from 8.2 to 10.0.4. -> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/release_notes.html#changes-in-10-0-3

Sorry, but with my last experience with OC i don’t believe that. So i planed to upgrade step by step from one next major release 9.0, 9.1 up to 10.0.4. And im not really sure, if 10.0.4 will run on a Ubuntu 14.04, the documentation is contradictory.

After the upgrade procedure from 8.2.10 to 8.2.11 the contacts app and the contacts vanishes without a reason. Im not using LDAP.

Ok, so in knowledge of a task with contacts from 9.0 to 9.1 i decide to upgrade thru 9.0. But there isn’t a contact app and there no of my contacts. At this point i stopped with update, because in 9.1 all old contacts will be deleted.

I have following error in the log:
Error core Could not get application, content was no valid XML

I can still log in and access my files, but that’s quite all. The access via client on a ubuntu 14.04 is gone for unknown reason.

My questions r, how can i migrate my contacts and why can my client app not connect to my server after the update. It seems that the installation is not stable, not all core is functionally.

please integrate your 9.0 instance with the marketplace as explained in this blog post.
Then you can update your apps.

Meanwile I did install the contacts app from https://marketplace.owncloud.com/apps/contacts After activation it forces an update procedure and than all went good, the contacts are again there.

But Thanks for that info. After i integrate that i have again access to the "appstore" as in past. It would be a good idea, to insert a kind of documentation in the upgrade procedure. In conjunction with the contacts / calender problem this is a major hint.

The other problem with the client was solved with exit and start over.

At last, my question is, will the contacts be automatically integrated in further major versions, like 9.1.x, 10.0.x?

1 Like

Ok, confusion now. The contacts i installed on this way seam to be another as delivered by now available market. The one is marked as experimental the other as proofed.

What now?

mind sending a screenshot?

Screenshot from activated and funcionally app contacts wich is marked as experimentally.

Screenshot from deactivated app contacts wich is marked as being proofed. - If i try to deactivate the experimental one and activate this one, a message that contacts allready exists is thrown.
In mind that with 9.1 major changes will be make with the contacts, im not sure if can go thru update 9.1 without fixing that issue in 9.0.

Why not just upgrading to ownCloud 10? From what i understand whats written in the linked blogpost this is just a compatibility mode of the new marketplace. And then you probably can hit slightly different / unexpected behaviors.

That because of i'm confused by the available documentation and my experience with that in past (means with 8.1.x).

The documentation Upgrade to 10.0 says:

We recommend that you keep your ownCloud server upgraded regularly installing all point releases and major releases, without skipping any of them, as doing so increases the risk of errors.

Before beginning an upgrade, please keep the following points in mind:
Review the release notes for important information about the needed migration steps during that upgrade to help ensure a smooth upgrade process.

A view in the Release notes shows that for every version the notes different issues are mentioned, that means for me, starting with 8.1, i have to pay attention to every release note for every major version.

So

It is now possible to directly upgrade from 8.2.11 to 10.0.3 in a single upgrade process.
is mentioned for 10.0.3 and not for 10.0.4, ok.

For 9.0

After upgrading to ownCloud 9.0 and before continuing to upgrade to 9.1 make sure that all of your and your users Calendars and Addressbooks are migrated correctly. Especially when using the IMAP user backend (other user backends might be also affected) you need to manually run the mentioned occ migration commands described above.

and if i go back to Upgrade to 10.0

Skipping major releases is not supported. However you can migrate from 9.0.9 straight to 10.0.

That means what? What is with 8.1.x as mentioned at the other documentation?

In knowledge of major changes with the contacts and the the release notes for 9.1

Removed dav:migrate-calendars and dav:migrate-addressbooks commands for occ. Users planning to upgrade from ownCloud 9.0 or below to ownCloud 9.1 needs to make sure that their calendars and address books are correctly migrated before continuing to upgrade to 9.1.

i decided to go step by step thru the major versions. And with my understanding of all that kind of informationen i am sure, that is a right way. I don't want to to loose any kind of data during a upgrade.

My problem is, that major changes are made and is quiet hard to follow from one stable version to another.

And an other issues wich is important is php 7 and change of subsystem in Ubuntu. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is in my opinion not able to run php 7 and will reach end of life soon. So i want to change with last update to 9.1 the server respective the os to Ubuntu 16.04 with php 7 and the change to an other subsystem. So keeping that in mind, the best way will be go step by step thru all major versions.

normally doing such procedures is not really a problem for me, but in may lack of core knowledge of owncloud and the big warnings about loss of data in the release note i am a bit carefully in doing things in the installation.

So, before i step to to upgrade to 9.1 its for me important to fix the contacts issue.

I think you can just remove the /apps/contacts folder and re-install the app again via the marketplace.

Ok, i did first deactivate the contacts app, wich was marked as experimental, then i deinstall it, with the effect, that the folder contacts in app folder vanishes. The i activate the proofed app contacts and all went fine. Thx for help.

In next step i will now upgrade to 9.1, then move the installation on a fresh installed Ubuntu 16.04 with php 7, get it run and then upgrade to 10.0.4.

Why?

Ubuntu 14.04 supports php upgrades via official sources only up to php 5.5.

10.0.4 Prerequisites claims the existence of php 5.6 or higher. So it will not really run on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with access to official source. Using external sources could lead in another issue i won't have.

With view of 9.1 System Requirements it is clear that this is the last version wich is supporting php beyond 5.6.